VMware Communities
discussionsdoc2
Contributor
Contributor

Linux Virtual machine overflow, takes up disk space

I had Ubuntu 17.04 running in VMware when suddenly the whole macOS system slowed down and became nearly unuseable. I was running sudo apt-get upgrade inside a terminal in Ubuntu when I noticed the command didn’t seem to get executed since the terminal became stuck. Shortly thereafter macOS threw out a “disk space almost full” notification and as I checked the .vmware file inside my documents folder it had grewn from 15GB up to 2 TB taking up all my disk space. I killed every VMware process, deleted the .vmware file and rebooted my Mac. Now everything’s working again but I figure this shouldn’t happen normally.

Tags (2)
2 Replies
mhampto
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Are any of the VM's running on snapshots? If there are snapshots, they may need to be consolidated, see Consolidating snapshots in VMware Fusion (1020000) | VMware KB

Otherwise, the logs may point to what caused the file to grow so quickly Collecting diagnostic information for VMware Fusion (1003894) | VMware KB .

xornot
Contributor
Contributor

I have a similar problem. I installed ubuntu on vmware + bitcored (to download the blockchain). While downloading the blockchain, vmware keeps using more and more diskspace EXTREMELY fast. Ubuntu itself shows ~13 gb usage of the filesystem while the vmware folder grows 30gb+, 300+gb, and so on. After the vmware disk space limit is reached, vmware crashed and I can not start the vmaschine anymore. Tips?

// edit:

Nevermind, switched to VirtualBox!

0 Kudos