VMware Horizon Community
szilagyic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Upgraded from 7.0.1 to 7.3.1, getting "You cannot access your applications or desktops"... error

Hello:

We just did an in place upgrade from Horizon 7.0.1 to 7.3.1.  The upgrade steps went fine but now the HTML client is no longer working when connecting to any of our desktops.  We can authenticate, but just after authentication we are getting the error "You cannot access your applications or desktops from the web client.".  No desktop pools are presented like they used to.   I have verified HTML access is still enabled for the pools, as it was enabled before and was working before the upgrade.

Is this an issue with 7.3.1 or is anybody else having this issue?  Thanks.....

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
steveromine
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just out of curiosity do your pools allow users too choose their protocol or not?  According to the call I was just on with GSS it appears that a change was made in 7.3+ to not allow users to access HTML if "Allow users to choose display protocol" is not set to yes.  This change was not in the initial release notes, the engineer I was working with is requesting that it be added.

View solution in original post

16 Replies
matteoabrile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I used only Agent 7.3.1 with Horizon Connection Server 7.2 work fine. Im not update to 7.3.1 connection server becouse I not see relavant change from 7.2 meanwhile Agent enable some new feature.

Bye

M.

0 Kudos
vallessteamship
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am running into the same problem going from 7.2 to 7.3.1.

0 Kudos
steveromine
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just out of curiosity do your pools allow users too choose their protocol or not?  According to the call I was just on with GSS it appears that a change was made in 7.3+ to not allow users to access HTML if "Allow users to choose display protocol" is not set to yes.  This change was not in the initial release notes, the engineer I was working with is requesting that it be added.

vallessteamship
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's it. The solution is to allow users to choose protocol. Kind of dumb. Does it mean web client can do PCoIP? No. Then why the heck should the setting affects web client.

0 Kudos
szilagyic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Our was set to no,...  when I switched it to yes, HTML access is now working again.  Thank you for the followup on this!!

0 Kudos
szilagyic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

That's it. The solution is to allow users to choose protocol. Kind of dumb. Does it mean web client can do PCoIP? No. Then why the heck should the setting affects web client.

I don't understand why they changed this when we have a separate control for HTML access anyway.  In our case, we want to force PCoIP from the full client, as we found rendering issues with Blast using the Windows client.  Opening up this setting can allow users to switch it which can create a support nightmare if enough users start tweaking this setting.  Yet we want to allow HTML access for convenience, which has been fine using Blast that way.  This change in 7.3 doesn't make any sense, and I wish they would have documented it somewhere.

Thank you for your help!

ksliger_pnfp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I agree, this seems to make no sense considering there is a checkbox to enable HTML which lets us control this separately.

TonyHuynh201110141 Can you please help us to understand why this change in functionality was seemingly slipstreamed without documentation? For people who support these systems, small changes like this can be very disruptive if not clearly communicated and documented.

0 Kudos
kdenike
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I'm sorry that this change has caused so much confusion. If you have the default protocol set to PCoIP and had turned off the option for uses see the UI to change protocol, the Blast connection to HTML Access stopped working. We plan on returning to the previous logic, which blocked the end user UI but did not lock down the protocol, in our next release. In the meantime, as was mentioned here, "Allow users to choose display protocol" will get you up and running.

0 Kudos
b34ny
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just had a bad morning when all of our zero clients wouldn't connect to the upgraded 7.3.1 connection servers that I updated last night from 7.2.0.

In 7.2.0 our pools were set for:

Default display protocol - VMware Blast

Allow users to choose protocol - YES

After the update to 7.3.1 all of our pools are set to:

Default display protocol - VMware Blast

Allow users to choose protocol - NO

I assume this is probably why our zero clients couldn't connect this morning but now I can't verify because I already rolled the entire upgrade back so users can log in.  Was this behavior intended and would you agree this is likely the cause of our connection issues this morning?  (Zero Client firmware at 5.5.1)

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

b34nykdenike

We are running into a very similar issue. We upgraded from Horizon 7.1 to 7.3.2 and all of our zero clients received the message "View Connection Server did not return any available virtual desktops" after logging in. Connections from a Windows 7 device running Horizon Client 4.6.0 could connect without issues.

All of our pools are configured as follows.

Default display protocol: VMware Blast

Allow users to choose protocol: No

Per the VMware Blast Extreme whitepaper this will still allow zero clients to connect (See page 4, https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/techpaper/vmware-horizon-7-view-bl...). We tried switching the default display protocol to PCoIP but still could not connect. We engaged VMware support but they said it was a zero client issue and wouldn't troubleshoot it. We had to rollback the environment and we are in the middle of building a parallel environment to do testing.

I also have a post on the Teradici community site (https://communities.teradici.com/questions/8795/551-firmware-compatible-with-horizon-732.html).

0 Kudos
kdenike
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Did you also have "Allow users to chose protocol" set to False? If so, this seems like the same issue. If not, can you open a ticket with support?

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

kdenike Yes, we had it set to No but per the whitepaper that I referenced it should still allow PCoIP connections. I had a ticket with VMware and was on the phone but they didn't see anything (We would see the user login but there were no issues logged). I'm building a test environment running 7.3.2 for further troubleshooting.

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

b34ny kdenike TonyHuynh201110141

I built a test environment running 7.1.0. I could successfully connect from a zero client with the pool set to the following.

Default display protocol: VMware Blast

Allow users to choose protocol: No

I then upgraded to 7.3.2 and the connection server no longer allows PCoIP connections from the zero clients. If I change "Allow users to choose protocol:" from "No" to "Yes" it does allow connections but we need this set to "No" so external connections only use Blast. I've raised an SR to try and determine if this is a bug or expected behavior.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

This is even more painful when you have vGPU active because you cannot change the options from no to yes on the fly. It would mean you need to recreate the entire pool and set the option to yes.

For as far we have heard from support the way it used to work seemed to be a loophole in the way View connects to a desktop, a loophole that they fixed but forgot to mention.

We also received confirmation that the new Horizon View version (NOT the 7.3.x but the following version whatever version that may be) it will be fixed. In the meantime you can just stay at version 7.2 or change the setting to Yes so users can change the protocol themselves. So for all you guys who have vGPU I feel your pain Smiley Happy Smiley Happy.

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

szilagyicvallessteamshipsteverominekdenikeb34ny

Good news, 7.4.0 was released and lists that it resolves the issue. I'll be upgrading a test environment in the morning to verify.

Release Notes for VMware Horizon 7 version 7.4

Resolved Issues

• When creating a pool or a farm, if you select No for the option "Allow users to chose protocol" then a pool or application can only be launched via the default protocol selected. The PCOIP protocol disallows any connections via HTML access and in the case of VGPU enabled pools, the "Allow users to chose protocol" option was disabled, so an administrator could not change it back to Yes. This change has been reverted.
0 Kudos
GhinguskhanD1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great job Steve, i upgraded to 7.3.2 and found that users couldn't use HTML access when the "Default display protocol:" was set to "PCOIP". followed your advise now my users can access their VDIs via HTML

0 Kudos