VMware Communities
XDR80Ti
Contributor
Contributor

High Sierra "vmmon"

I just migrated my old VMware Fusion version 5.0.5 from my old Mavericks OS to a new computer running High Sierra. I get a message saying to "Please make sure that the kernel module 'vmmon' is loaded". I realize that this is an old version, but I only use it about twice a year to run Windows 7 to update a URC remote control unit, so I would like to avoid buying a new version if possible. Thanks for any help.

4 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Sorry, but Fusion 5 won't work on High Sierra, it didn't even work on Yosemite.

If you want to test the newer version to see if it is worth your spending you can install and run a 30 day fully functional version before actually committing to spending anything.

After the 30 days, you buy a license to change the installed Fusion into an unlimited version.

Fusion evaluation (top right download now link)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ksMeyer
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Wila,

I have the same issue, but I'm using 8.5.8.

I've tried copying an existing VM that does work on an iMac, and I have tried creating a new VM from an ISO, same issue.

The iMac has High Sierra on and 8.5.8 works perfectly there.

This is the MacBook it is not working on

0 Kudos
zhaokaiy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It seems the kernel extensions were not loaded correctly.

Would you like have a try of the following steps please?

1. Reboot the macOS

2. Open System Preferences > Security & Privacy, change the Allow apps downloaded from to be App Store and identified developers

3. Move VMware Fusion.app from /Applications into the ~/Desktop

Drag VMware Fusion.app by pressing the Option key,

Drop it on to ~/Desktop,

Remove the /Applications/VMware Fusion.app

4. Move VMware Fusion.app from ~/Desktop into /Applications

5. Double click VMware Fusion.app to run

(Note: Here the dialog VMware Fusion requires administrative privileges ... should appear)

6. If the VM still can't be powered on, goto the System Preferences > Security & Privacy, and there should be a message to let you enable to load the kernel extensions.

ksMeyer
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Zhaokaiy,

Ive upgraded to Fusion 10, that has sorted out the issue.

I think it may have something to do with APFS, so decided to try Fusion 10 and it worked.

Enjoy your day

0 Kudos