VMware Communities
T_Rob
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WSPro 12->14 upgrade, giant desktop icons RHEL7

After upgrading Workstation Pro from 12 to 14, I updated a RHEL72 image to be VMWare 14 compatible and rebooted.  Now my desktop icons are super-sized.  Tweak Tool says they are at a scale factor of 1 and so cannot be reduced further.  I have reconciled all the VMWare settings between the old and new versions of the virtual machine.  I have reinstalled VMWare Tools and rebooted. Twice.  Normal tools like Eclipse are almost unusable.

The host is a docked 4k laptop with the lid closed and 3 external 1920x1080 displays running Windows 10.  The display issues occur on any of the 3 monitors.  Since the old image at VMW12 compatibility works as before, I want the two images to work the same and am not interested in exploring solutions that require undocking the laptop and using the native display.  I would rather go back to the WS12 restore point than use the laptop undocked.

Any suggestions how to make the display scale correctly again are welcome.

Thanks -- T.Rob

2017-10-03_16-01-47.jpg

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
calc76
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What does the following show?

xdpyinfo | grep -A2 ^screen

If it shows the following then the icon size in nautilus is probably set too large, which it appears to be by default:

resolution: 96x96 dots per inch

To change the icon size setting open 'Files' then click on the hamburger button and change the icon size to 50%

View solution in original post

2 Replies
calc76
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What does the following show?

xdpyinfo | grep -A2 ^screen

If it shows the following then the icon size in nautilus is probably set too large, which it appears to be by default:

resolution: 96x96 dots per inch

To change the icon size setting open 'Files' then click on the hamburger button and change the icon size to 50%

T_Rob
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK, took me a minute to figure out what the "hamburger icon" is but soon as I did that fixed it. Thanks!  I lost a few hours before stopping to ask for help.  Probably should have done that sooner.  Very much appreciated.  Smiley Happy