VMware Cloud Community
Mohammed_Saeed
Contributor
Contributor

A question from a Newbie - Distribution Switch

Hi, Everyone, I am studying for VCP6-DCV foundation exam and I have a question regarding the Distribution switch configuration,

is it possible to have multiple port groups each connected to different uplink in a single vswitch?

i.e let's assume that we have 3 virtual port groups, PG1 it has 2 vm's and PG2 it has 2 vm's and PG3 it has vmkernel port.

is it possible to connect PG1 to upkink1 and PG2 to uplink2 and PG3 to uplink 3?

I am a little bit confused,

please help

Thanks

Mohammed

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator note: Although you're studying for a VCP, this is a product question - thread moved to vSphere vNetwork area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Yes, you can do this by configuring Teaming and Failover at the port group level.

André

0 Kudos
Mohammed_Saeed
Contributor
Contributor

Hi a.p.

I am not sure if you understodmy point,

in the following diagram, is it possible to make DtestPortGroup connected to Uplink1 (only)? and DVMPortGroup be connected to Uplink 2 only?

dvSwitch.JPG

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Yes, you can specify which uplink is active, and which one must not be used on the port groups. For details see e.g. Configure NIC Teaming, Failover, and Load Balancing on a Distributed Port Group or Distributed Port (7. Specify how the uplinks in a team are used when a failover occurs by configuring the Failover Order list.).

André

0 Kudos
Mohammed_Saeed
Contributor
Contributor

I will try what you advised me to, if i have a question then i will post it here.

Thank you Smiley Happy

0 Kudos