VMware Horizon Community
epa80
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

UEM Upgrade 8.7 to 9.2.1

I have been reviewing the upgrade path/steps for UEM via the documentation listed here (technically for 9.1), and had a couple questions:

1. Can I upgrade directly from 8.7 to 9.2.1?
  2. Am I understanding the order of installation correctly? If I am reading it right, I first update all the clients' UEM version to 9.2.1 (back end remains 8.7), at which point I then upgrade the back end servers to 9.2.1?

Our environment is a linked clone VDI world, all Windows 7. We have 2 data centers, and within each are 2 UEM servers that all replicate across one another via DFS. Ina  nutshell I had the upgrade steps as deploy the linked clones with 9.2.1, then upgrade the back end servers to 9.2.1.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ijdemes
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi epa80​,

Yes you can upgrade from v8.7 to v9.2.1.

As you already mentioned, please upgrade your clients (FlexEngine) first. The newest FlexEngine (v9.2.1) can still interpret the INI files from v8.7. After your clients (FlexEngine) have been upgraded, you can upgrade the management console, which allow for new options, like elevated privileges and others, which (when enabled) can now be correctly interpreted by the upgraded clients (FlexEngine). After that update the ADMX files.

Does this answer your question?

\\ Ivan
---
Twitter: @ivandemes
Blog: https://www.ivandemes.com

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ijdemes
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi epa80​,

Yes you can upgrade from v8.7 to v9.2.1.

As you already mentioned, please upgrade your clients (FlexEngine) first. The newest FlexEngine (v9.2.1) can still interpret the INI files from v8.7. After your clients (FlexEngine) have been upgraded, you can upgrade the management console, which allow for new options, like elevated privileges and others, which (when enabled) can now be correctly interpreted by the upgraded clients (FlexEngine). After that update the ADMX files.

Does this answer your question?

\\ Ivan
---
Twitter: @ivandemes
Blog: https://www.ivandemes.com
epa80
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Sure does. Thanks a lot, Ivan!

Skmr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If I upgrade UEM agent [flexengine] do I have to follow this article "Installation order of End User Computing Agents for User Environment Manager (UEM) and App Volumes (... " [I mean do I need to reinstall all the agents like VMware tools, view and appvol agents?]

Thank you,

Pkmr.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Skmr ,

I think the intention of that KB article is to just keep things simple, and have a well-defined installation order documented. When it comes to upgrading UEM, there isn't actually any need to reinstall any of the other agents – our upgrade does not affect the other agents.