VMware Cloud Community
erwabovm
Contributor
Contributor

Custom Properties in vRO

I'm very new to vRO and I am tasked with a few objectives for automating the build of new VMs, I have successfully built a RunBook for a new VM but I have a couple other objective that im not having any luck with.

1. Need to assign the network properties after VM starts. The IDEAL method would be pulling an IP from SWinds IPAM, but manual IP from captured user input would also be acceptable in the interim while we try to build a case to get vRA

2. Computer Name - I need to check the VM structure or AD for the next available name in the sequence. For instance, our IIS servers are named TR01VDSIIS001, TR01VDSIIS002, 003, 004 etc.

3. Join our domain and the place the computer in an OU ( I already have the AD module connected, I just dont know how to get the results of the build workflow to perform the AD parts)

Ive spent a few hours on this so far but to no avail...some help would he GREATLY appreciated

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

While you can certainly do all this stuff manually, I'll just throw out that everything you want to do has already been done by the SovLabs group. It requires no vRO coding on your part saving months of ramping up on vRO and integration testing.

SolarWinds IPAM

Custom Naming (includes sequence number tracking)

Active Directory

0 Kudos
erwabovm
Contributor
Contributor

Are they all paid solutions?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, but you don't buy them individually. The "core pack" has all the modules you're looking for plus others:  Products – SovLabs

0 Kudos
erwabovm
Contributor
Contributor

It looks like those are for vRA not vRO. I'm not sure they will pay for these at any rate. I still have to see if I can get this to happen manually as well, but I will definitely look into these. thanks!

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Since you posted in the vRealize Automation forum, I figured you were trying to perform your integrations there.

0 Kudos
erwabovm
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, i didnt see a vRO forum....if there is one, Ill move over this posting to there.

0 Kudos