VMware Communities
Sureshot52
Contributor
Contributor

Module 'Disk' power on failed.

After I upgraded to macOS High Sierra my vm would not start and give me this error ..

"Cannot open the disk '/Users/FBPsystems/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/Boot Camp.vmwarevm/Boot Camp.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

Module 'Disk' power on failed.

Failed to start the virtual machine."

I can still boot into bootcamp fine, just cant use VMware now. Today I upgraded to VM10 and still have same issue. I also have tried to import a new bootcamp but it fails about 25% into the process.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Sureshot52 ,

Welcome to Fusion community.Smiley Happy

"Cannot open the disk '/Users/FBPsystems/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/Boot Camp.vmwarevm/Boot Camp.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

Is there any message say 'your boot camp configuration is out of date'?

Could you please delete the files under '/Users/FBPsystems/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion 'and re-create Boot Camp VM via File->New->Install from Boot Camp->Create a Boot Camp virtual machine?

I can still boot into bootcamp fine, just cant use VMware now. Today I upgraded to VM10 and still have same issue. I also have tried to import a new bootcamp but it fails about 25% into the process.

Does that mean 'Import your Boot Camp volume'? Could you please verify if there is enough disk space left on your Mac to store the Imported Boot Camp VM? If the process still fails with sufficient disk space on Mac , please upload your vmware.log . Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
ABrookman
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue.  I tried to resolve it by applying the fix in KB2151780 that involves addressing a legacy BIOS boot data issue and turning SIP protection off and then back on.  I created a new Boot Camp virtual machine that booted up when I was in recovery mode with SIP off.  However, after this "fix" I got the same error message as Sureshot52 when I booted back in to High Sierra running normally with SIP back on.  (I'm running version 8.5.8 of Fusion).

0 Kudos
noogle
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem.. cannot start my Windows 10 Boot Camp machine after upgrading to High Sierra.

I tried the suggestion of deleting the library files but I couldn't create a new VM.

Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 19.30.27.png

Folder.png

No found.png

I can restart my Mac Book Pro and boot directly into Windows 10, works as expected.

Boo 😞

0 Kudos
RH923B
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here.

I got the error under VMWare version 8, along with the “upgrade” prompt.

So I bought the upgrade to VMWare 10....and STILL GOT THE ERROR!

Help????????

0 Kudos
aml075
Contributor
Contributor

I also did this as described here:

Boot Camp virtual machine created by Fusion on MacOS High Sierra or higher version does not have cor...

My Boot Camp boots fine natively, fine in VMware Fusion with SIP turned off, but does not boot in VMware Fusion with SIP turned on. 

0 Kudos
ABrookman
Contributor
Contributor

I did the exact same thing, with exactly the same results.

0 Kudos
noogle
Contributor
Contributor

I had a call from VMWare tech support and they also confirmed that Boot Camp installations using legacy Bios will no longer work with High Sierra when System Integrity Protection (SIP) is enabled (which appears to be enabled by default after the upgrade).

He said there were three choices:

1) Disable SIP (as already mentioned here - KB2151780)

2) Use Fusion to import the Boot Camp and create a new virtual machine. This would no longer run as a Boot Camp machine, only as a VM.

3) Delete the Boot Camp machine and start again.

I'm going to turnoff SIP - some neat discussion points here - but will probably recreate my Boot Camp when I get a chance.

- Jon

aml075
Contributor
Contributor

I upgraded to Fusion 10 (trial) and the issue is gone. Bootcamp partition opens in Fusion just fine.

0 Kudos