VMware Communities
Razyr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fusion 10 Failing To Process Boot Camp Volume

I have a support ticket open but has anyone else seen the problem (or figured a workaround) where Fusion 10 can see the Boot Camp volume, but errors out trying to process it?  I mention specifically that Fusion 10 is able to see the partition, because Fusion 8.5.8 was unable to after updating my Mac to High Sierra yesterday.

Fusion 10 yields the error "Boot Camp volume preprocessing failed.  You may not be able to boot your Boot Camp volume as a virtual machine."

"May not be able to" is confirmed.   Attempts to start the VM fail.  It cycles through virtual IDE, SATA and Network connections, then ends up on a blue boot manager screen.  There's a system notification that pops up which says that no operating system was found.  It then goes on to suggest that you check your Startup Disk settings, but of course "Hard disk settings cannot be changed for Boot Camp disks."

10 Replies
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Razyr ,

Welcome to Fusion forum.Smiley Happy

Could you please try to disable SIP on your Mac and re-create your Boot Camp VM?

You can use the following steps to disable SIP:

1. Reboot Mac machine into Recovery Mode by restarting the computer and holding down Command+R

2. Select Utilities > Terminal

3. In Terminal window, run 'csrutil disable' and press Enter.

4. Restart your Mac and boot to mac OS.

Then, launch Fusion and re-create Boot Camp VM by choosing File > New and selecting "Install from Boot Camp"

Here is the KB link

https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2151780

Hope this could help.Smiley Happy

Nancy

0 Kudos
Razyr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for that input, Nancy.

I spent an hour or so on the phone yesterday with VMware Support.  We did try disabling SIP during that session. 

I believe my ticket has been escalated to the next tier of support for further analysis.

0 Kudos
dangero
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue. Just updated to Fusion 10 in hopes of getting it to work, but did not work. Would love to hear if you find a solution.

0 Kudos
devnl
Contributor
Contributor

I have the exact same issue and am now quite unproductive in my day job. I would love for this to be fixed ASAP. Also tried the KB fix, didn't work.

0 Kudos
Razyr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware support staff have been working on my case for a week, but without resolution.   Last night I blew everything away and did a clean install of High Sierra, restored my apps and data from Time Machine, and then did a clean install of Windows 10.  

With the fresh install, I still had to disable SIP and make the edit to my vmdk file in order to get the BootCamp VM to run.

I was up all night doing installs/restores but at least I have a working system today.

0 Kudos
devnl
Contributor
Contributor

That doesn't sound very promising. That really isn't an option for me...

0 Kudos
dangero
Contributor
Contributor

I just got it to work -- One thing I did differently this time is SIP is disabled and also after creating the bootcamp vm in the vm library I edited settings and selected the HD as the startup disk and changed the VM type from Windows 7 to Windows 10 x64.

dangero
Contributor
Contributor

OK and just to confirm, after enabling SIP it stopped working again, but the vmdk edit listed in the kb worked for me. I now have it working with SIP enabled.

0 Kudos
gtjacket05
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem.

Boot Camp virtual machine created by Fusion on MacOS High Sierra or higher version does not have cor...

I had to boot into recovery mode, then do csrutil disable.

Boot into macOS High Sierra, launch VMware, create bootcamp VM, you will get error, then make sure startup disk is set to hard drive, then edit vmdk line to RW 6 ZERO.

Reboot into recovery mode, do csrutil enable, then booting the bootcamp VM worked.

This is annoying VMware, stop screwing up releases

0 Kudos
declure
Contributor
Contributor

A combination of the suggestions in this thread worked for me in Fusion 11.1.1 and macOS 10.14.6, with the added step of getting notified once SIP was re-enabled and the system was rebooted that the VMWare system extension was blocked.  Once I followed the prompt or went to the Security & Privacy settings myself, and set the extension to "Allow", it started booting my Boot Camp VM.

0 Kudos