VMware Cloud Community
warnox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Update Manager version

Hi,

I'm trying to find the version/build of a VMware Update Manager. As per, https://virtualtassie.com/2016/quick-tip-finding-vsphere-update-manager-version-and-build/ , both the log file and the EXE show 5.0.1 build 1886986 but I cannot find this build number anywhere in VMware documentation (such as Build numbers and versions of VMware vSphere Update Manager (2143837) | VMware KB ).

Any help appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Nick_Andreev
Expert
Expert

Hi warnox,

Update Manager and vCenter versions go hand in hand. Find you vCenter version from vSphere or Web Client and this will be your Update Manager version as well. Unless someone forgot to upgrade it and left it broken, of course.

---
If you found my answers helpful please consider marking them as helpful or correct.
VCIX-DCV, VCIX-NV, VCAP-CMA | vExpert '16, '17, '18
Blog: http://niktips.wordpress.com | Twitter: @nick_andreev_au
0 Kudos
Jitu211003
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Logs

In here I look for the latest vmware-vum-server-x.log file (where x is a number):

vum_version_2

After opening it up, the first line will list the full version and build (see below), which we can then then use to cross check in the original KB article I linked to. In this instance below, we’re looking at an install of VUM 6.0 U2.

vum_version_3

As I was writing this post, I did a quick search and about the only other thing I came across was this post on Reddit, in which one of the posters pointed out that you can also check the details on a .exe file to find the version and build. The particular file this user pointed out was:

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager\vmware-updatemgr.exe

Right click on the above file > Properties > Details Tab and you will see the following information:

vum_version_4

0 Kudos
Nahida123
Contributor
Contributor

On windows VUM very first line in vmware-vum-server-log4cpp.txt file at location C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Logs will contain build# and version of VUM.

0 Kudos