VMware Communities
pb79
Contributor
Contributor

VM: RHEL7u3 x64 Enterprise EN: blk_update_request i/o error dev fd0 sector 0

Dear VMware support,

We are looking for a solution of following problem (the latest build of VMware® Workstation 12 Pro; VM image: RHEL7u3 x64 Enterprise EN):

vmware_fault.png

Thanks,

0 Kudos
2 Replies
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This is purely a Guest OS issue and not a VMware issue. If the virtual machine boots up successfully and the Guest OS is not booting, you need to troubleshoot from inside the Guest OS.  Run the journalctl command to view the system logs. Lots of information out there regarding the blk_update_request: I/O error. There is also a possiblity that the hard drive on the host machine is having an issue? Might want to check the hardrive for possible errors on the host. Run the journalctl command to view the system logs and post the logs on the thread for more inputs from this thread.

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
Jimmy15
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,
I experienced the similar issue.
Redhat VM is in VMware vSphere 6.0 environment.

This is noticeable fact that fd0 (Floppy disk) is not a device attached to this VM. It observed that VMtools were not installed on this machine.

suspended logs shared with Redhat support , however they also could not identify root cause in previous cases.

The only extra information this time is ESXi host get disconnected from vCenter for a while. But why only one VM impacted out of ~150, is still a question.

Link of RedHat community on same

blk_update_request I/O error, dev sde, sector 0 - Red Hat Customer Portal

Another aspect

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/282845/blk-update-request-i-o-error-dev-fd0-sector-0

Your device doesn't have a floppy drive, but the floppy driver module is installed, so you have /dev/fd0, and many things will try to use it.

sudo rmmod floppy echo "blacklist floppy" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-floppy.conf sudo dpkg-reconfigure initramfs-tools 

Hope this will help, will update once get more info.

regards

PS: Mark kudos or correct answer as appropriate 🙂
0 Kudos