VMware Cloud Community
MichaelLeone
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Upgrading the vCenter Server from 5.5 to 6.0 fails at the pre-checks with the error message “vCenter CA certificate not verified. Stopping”

I am attempting to upgrade my vCenter from 5.5U3b to 6.0u3 (on Win2008 R2). During the installation, I receive the above error, about the CA certificate not verified. I've opened a case, but am still waiting to hear back. Meanwhile, web searches sort of indicate how to fix it ( Upgrading the vCenter Server from 5.5 to 6.0 fails at the pre-checks with the error message “vCente...

but that page isn't all that clear. They recommend combining multiple certificates into 1, and putting it in a specific place. But they don't show what file names of these certs to be combined are, nor does it seem as if I have the intermediate certificates that the page talks about.

Anybody seen this? I can't get past it, to upgrade my vCenter.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

Please see the existing thread we have for a similar issue, there seems to be a number of suggestions that may help:

Upgrade from 5.5 latest to 6.0U2m using migration assistant fails in pre upgrade checks

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
MichaelLeone
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, Tech Support had me uninstall vCenter 5.5., and re-install. This then gave me my missing root certificate (cacert.pem). And then I was able to try to start upgrading from 5.5 to 6.0.

(Mind you, that upgrade has failed massively, and I have a ticket with them about it. The upgrade process uninstalled 5.5 fine, but won't install 6.0. So my vCenter is completely and totally down now, and has been, since yesterday, since I have no vCenter at all now. But the certificate issue I originally posted about actually was resolved ...)

0 Kudos