VMware Horizon Community
MikeC3964
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

UEM Registry roaming advice

Good afternoon,

I've noticed that there's a a pretty good delay with logins and the delay is with UEM. It seems to point to the roaming of the registry. Currently I'm roaming the following directories below. I'm working on pealing back the software directory, but the largest one is the Microsoft folder. Just out of curiosity, how are people handling that? Do people not leverage this that much, or focus strictly on the application data?

[IncludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\Network

HKCU\Software

HKCU\System

HKCU\Printers

HKCU\Volatile Environment

HKCU\Control Panel

2017-09-20 12:41:22.895 [DEBUG] ImportRegistry::Import: Calling '"C:\Windows\REGEDIT.EXE" /S "C:\Users\mchabot\AppData\Local\Temp\FLX9BFB.tmp"' (RPAL: l=0 (D/E), r=0)

2017-09-20 12:41:30.000 [DEBUG] Read 2504 entries from profile archive (size: 424784542; compressed: 21477926)

Any advice would be fantastic.

Thanks!

Mike

6 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi MikeC3964,

UEM is really intended to be used with much more granular configuration files. Instead of your big bang approach, the idea is to create per-application and per-Windows setting Flex config files, each covering just the registry and file system locations for that particular app or Windows component.

I appreciate that that takes a non-trivial amount of time to set up, but hopefully our built-in Application Templates and WIndows Common Settings (in the Create Config File wizard) help you get started for commonly used apps and settings.

In addition to that, we have the Application Profiler, which helps in creating Flex config files for applications, by monitoring where an application saves its settings.

Your approach basically mimics a standard roaming profile, by pretty much capturing all of the user's registry information (and also quite a bit of the file system, judging from the "Read 2504 entries from profile archive" log message). That's easy to configure, sure, but won't give you the benefits of UEM (faster logons, easier reset/restore of application settings, etc).

0 Kudos
MikeC3964
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi UEMdev​,

Thanks for the prompt response, I really appreciate it! We did things a little backwards, and are now working on scaling back what roams, etc. Thankfully, UEM makes it extremely easy for that. If you don't mind, i was looking at the  "Windows Common Settings", and when I selected one to use, It was a blank. I was expecting registry paths or something in it? Am i missing something?

Sorry for the beginner questions Smiley Happy

Thanks again,

Mike

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi MikeC3964,

Thankfully, UEM makes it extremely easy for that.

That's good to hear, thanks.

i was looking at the  "Windows Common Settings", and when I selected one to use, It was a blank. I was expecting registry paths or something in it? Am i missing something?

Yes, you're missing something 🙂

Untitled.png

Clicking Expand will expand the reference to its underlying settings.

0 Kudos
MikeC3964
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OMG, thanks so much for that! i knew i was missing something. When I click on that, i get a popup that says "Expanding Windows Common Settings removes the reference to the built-in definitions". I was going to initially test with a keyboard setting, but in the event i want to use "Windows explorer and view settings" will it undo or remove settings i set in the other "Windows Explorer" window?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi MikeC3964,

will it undo or remove settings i set in the other "Windows Explorer" window?

No, only the reference in the Flex config file that you're currently working on (the one in which you clicked on the Manage button) will be replaced by the underlying definitions of that referenced setting. This will not affect any other config files.

0 Kudos
MikeC3964
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fantastic! thank you very much. I really appreciate your help.