VMware Cloud Community
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Migrating Esxi host with VDS to another vCenter

Hi. I have some ESXi v5.5 clusters attached to vCenter windows v5.5. for various reasons including needinag to move this vCenter to a new location we need to move these hosts to a new vCenter while keeping vms running.

We already have our new vcsa 6.5 installed and we have moved some clusters with standard switches only to this vcsa simply by disconnecting fom 5.5 vCenter and adding as new host to vcsa 6.5.

However we  are now to the clusters that have distributive switch. The mgt port is a standand switch though. I was told I could do the following to do this. But I have no test environment. Will this work?

1. Import vds 5.5 switch into new vcsa 6.5

2. Disconnect host from vCenter 5.5

3. Remove from inventory on vCenter 5.5

4. Add dost to vcsa 6.5

5. Add host to the vds that was imported

6. May need to delete stale vds object

my original method was to convert all hosts and vms to standard switches. I rather not.

Thankyou for any information. Thanks,,,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Finikiez
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello!

I would recommend to migrate from DVS to standard switches and then disconnect ESXi host from old VC and connect them to new VC. This method always works.

I had some issues with exporting\importing DVS config when you have VCs on different versions.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Finikiez
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello!

I would recommend to migrate from DVS to standard switches and then disconnect ESXi host from old VC and connect them to new VC. This method always works.

I had some issues with exporting\importing DVS config when you have VCs on different versions.

0 Kudos
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi. Thank you. As a matter of fact just know I was having issues that I cannot import my VDS from vCenter 5.5 win to VCSA 6.5. Guess I will have to do my original way of converting to VSS. I will use vCenter to migrate all the VM network for me. Thanks,,,

0 Kudos