VMware Cloud Community
cnpatton
Contributor
Contributor

Esxi 6.0 vsphere disconnects nic after vmotion

I'm having a problem with Vmotion that I haven't seen before.  On a random basis, when you do a vmotion, the VM comes back up with with the NIC in the disconnected state (in edit setting).  The VLAN setting also gets lost.  You have to reset the VLAN and then turn the NIC back on, and then everything works fine.  We have "notify switches" set to yes in all the failover policies.  this is using a distributed switch.  This only seems to happen when DRS initiates a Vmotion, not when you do a manual Vmotion.  Any help would be appreciated.

CP

5 Replies
Mattallford
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you review vmware.log of the VM after this happens and see what information is in there?

Is there any pattern to the type of machine this seems to happen to? Windows / Linux / version of hardware / version of tools etc

VCP6-DCV | VCAP6-DCV Deploy @mattallford If you found my answers useful, please help me by marking them as Helpful or Correct!
cnpatton
Contributor
Contributor

I looked at one of the files.  It is a huge file, and I'm not sure what I'm looking for.  Nothing jumped out at me in terms of a clear error during vmotion.  I can tell you that in the event viewer, after the migration there was an error saying: 

"the Eth0 interface will be offline

after the migration."

It didn't tell me why.

We have seen this on both Windows and Linux machines, and with and without updated vmware tools.  Additionally, we have seen it happen in two different completely separate enclaves.

Thanks!

CP

0 Kudos
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert

check firmware and driver of enic are compatible with your upstream switch hardware (VIC)

e.g.

VMware Compatibility Guide - I/O Device Search

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
Mattallford
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

How big are the vmware.log files for the virtual machine?

if it occurs again, you can note the time stamp of the cMotion and then upload the VMware.log file here for us to look at. Or even a snippet of it with 5 minutes either side of the vMotion to see if we can spot anything.

Do you notice any patters in the vMotions when this occurs, such as source host or destination host being consistent?

As above posted noted, also a good idea to check the NIC driver and firmware compatibility to ensure you are running correct versions for the build of ESXi you are running.

Cheers, Matt.

VCP6-DCV | VCAP6-DCV Deploy @mattallford If you found my answers useful, please help me by marking them as Helpful or Correct!
cnpatton
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah the problem is that 5 days transpired between the event and when I was asked to look at it.  So that's why I'm having a hard time with the logs, I don't know the actual time of the event.  it only happens when DRS migrates a machine, not when you migrate one manually, so I can't reproduce.  Also, according to the customer, when you manually turn the nic back on and re-add the VLAN, it doesn't misbehave again.  That's why I doubt it's a driver issue.  Right?

CP

0 Kudos