VMware Cloud Community
WDGNet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

New vSAN Setup - Physical NIC warning

Hi Guys,

I have a brand new vSAN setup, 4 hosts, multiple NICs (10G and 1G).  I have one dvSwitch with all my uplinks and dvPortgroups configured.  I am receiving this warning in the configuration assistant that states ---

Best practice (advisory only): Checks that each vSAN vmknic is backed by two physical NICs, of matching and (if applicable) correct type.

Multiple link speeds detected: 10000, 1000

My vSAN PortGroup is using two uplinks.  Uplink 1 contains a set of 10G NICS, uplink 2 is standby with a different set of 10G NICs.  I know there is a mixture of speeds on my dvSwitch, but is this ok?  I don't have any 10G using any 1G as failover, and vice versa.  Should I seperate the 1G NICs onto another dvSwitch?

Thanks for any help guys.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
virtualg_uk
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Sounds like this check is just looking at the Distributed Switch and alarming because there are mixed speed NICs.

As long as the vSAN port is using those 10G NICs (even for failover) then you should be in a supported configuration.

Feel free to upload a screenshot(s) of your Distributed Switch configuration.

Graham | User Moderator | https://virtualg.uk

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
virtualg_uk
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Sounds like this check is just looking at the Distributed Switch and alarming because there are mixed speed NICs.

As long as the vSAN port is using those 10G NICs (even for failover) then you should be in a supported configuration.

Feel free to upload a screenshot(s) of your Distributed Switch configuration.

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello WDGNet,

I agree with Graham - if 1G links are not in use (or standby/failover) for vSAN traffic then this can be safely ignored as a lot of these checks aren't looking this close but just what is connected to the switch (mixed speeds in this case).

Is this a Hybrid or All Flash configuration?

1G links are supported for Hybrid, All Flash requires 10G:

docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.5/com.vmware.vsphere.virtualsan.doc/GUID-AFF133BC-F4B6-4753-815F-20D3D752D898.html

Bob

0 Kudos
WDGNet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks guys for your quick response. 

Graham - There are no 10G NICs, even for failover, associated with the vSAN port group.  vSAN is utilizing 2 uplinks.  Uplink 1 contains 4 10G NICS (1 per host).  Uplink 2 is for failover, and contains 4 10G NICs (1 per host).  So, when looking at the teaming and failover of vSAN port group, uplink1 is active, uplink 2 is standby.

Bob - This is an all flash vSAN config.  But again, no 1G NICs are being used for vSAN at all.

0 Kudos
virtualg_uk
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Sounds to me like that warning can be ignored then Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
WDGNet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution