VMware Communities
JoshKorn
Contributor
Contributor

What's the minimum product & license I need for VMWare Cloud on AWS?

I have a small development/testing network running under a VMWare Workstation Pro host (and therefore a single VMWare Workstation Pro license)

• a Windows Domain Controller (DC) and backup DC;
  • a DNS server hosted by the DC;
  • an assortment of Windows Server/Workstation machines that get spun up/down as needed by the project I'm working on at the time;
  • maximum of about 16GB for any one live VM image;
  • a total of about 10TB storage for content databases, VM images, etc.

I'd like to rid myself of the physical host (rather than upgrade it), so I'm looking at migrating this environment to a cloud somewhere, with AWS the current favourite.

What's the minimum license (and associated product) that I'd need to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance

Josh

p.s. If you're reading this and feel strongly that another cloud service is better, feel free to speak up!!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AishR
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

More information on VMware Cloud on AWS can be found on VMware Cloud

0 Kudos
wmichel
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Cloud on AWS is a managed service offered by VMware and here is information on pricing VMware Cloud

VMware Cloud on AWS is powered by VMware Cloud Foundation (VCF) which is compromised of VMware vSphere, vSAN and NSX managed through VMware vCenter.  So you would buy the managed service and then need to migrate your VM's to this service. 

Here is the link to VMware Cloud on AWS -  Amazon Web Services and VMware  and here is my blog regarding this new service availability  https://m1labs.co/2017/09/21/vmware-cloud-on-aws-is-available-now/

There is also a VMware on AWS HOL you can go check out to get familiar with the product before buying VMware Learning Platform and here is my blog with more details https://m1labs.co/2017/09/28/vmworld-2017-hands-on-labs-available-check-out-vmware-on-aws/

So to answer your question, the minimum product would be to procure the VMware Cloud on AWS Managed Service and this would include licensing.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Wences

Thanks! Wences Michel Living the dream! 🙂
0 Kudos