VMware Horizon Community
Ittybit
Contributor
Contributor

UEM Folder Redirection

Hello,

I'm using UEM 9.2 and configured folder redirection through It instead of going through the GPO route. I'm noticing that it is successfully redirectong content from libraries (documents, pictures, videos,etc...). However, if I or another user browses to "C:\Users\%username%\Documents" or another folder and saves documents they do not get redirected.

Please let me know what could be done to resolve this issue.

Thanks

17 Replies
Raymond_W
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

What happens if you use the folder redirection option via GPO(the normal windows way), same issue ?

Raymond

Kind regards, Raymond Twitter: @raymond_himself
0 Kudos
Ittybit
Contributor
Contributor

Redirected folders do not show up under the local profile.

0 Kudos
dbrutus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, by any chance did you sysprep and if you sysprep did you use the copy profile true option?

0 Kudos
Ittybit
Contributor
Contributor

I think so but I will need to confirm with the imaging team. Would this be a concern ?

0 Kudos
dbrutus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's correct. I have been working with Vmware the past couple of weeks. We discovered if you sysprep and use copy profile true then it will break folder redirection. I also see the same when I use the forenit tool to copy profile and I saw the same thing. There's a def a problem and VMware acknowledged it. The workaround is a registry fix that I found on this site that you use in Conjunction with UEM.

ForensiT Free Downloads

Ittybit
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you! What's the exact registry key so I can test it out? I couldn't find it on the site you provided.

Thank

0 Kudos
dbrutus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

i provided two links. The one link is from the previous thread on this site about folder redirection and registry workaround. Vmware provided me with another link for people who are also using the optimation tool.

UEM Folder Redirection Not Working

Folder redirection configured by UEM does not show the redirected location (2150264) | VMware KB

0 Kudos
Ittybit
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have tried recreating the StubPath value mentioned in the VMWare kb but that didnt resolve the issue.  What resolved the issue for you?

Thanks

0 Kudos
liorshe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello ,

for your issues with the folder do this -

You need to add a five REG KEYS in the base image or add with UEM to users.

I add this REG KEY to users with UEM  - I made these changes In one user , I export the reg key and add them to Uem And finally i applied them to all users who work with Windows 10.

Go to -

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserShell Folders

Add this reg keys as "expandable string variable" -

Desktop -
{754AC886-DF64-4CBA-86B5-F7FBF4FBCEF5}

Documents -
{F42EE2D3-909F-4907-8871-4C22FC0BF756}

Pictures - {0DDD015D-B06C-45D5-8C4C-F59713854639}

Music -
{A0C69A99-21C8-4671-8703-7934162FCF1D}

Videos -
{35286A68-3C57-41A1-BBB1-0EAE73D76C95}

Downloads-
{7D83EE9B-2244-4E70-B1F5-5393042AF1E4}

in the value data insert the path of
your folder redirection and the name of folder example-

\\servername\folderredirecion\%username%\Desktop

96266_96266.pngpastedImage_0.png

If you follow the steps correctly you will finally see one folder (not duplicates folder) in "User Files"  that points to yours folder redirect path.

if you do this in your base image after you finish you need to do recompose.

https://communities.vmware.com/message/2685614#2685614

The problem with  Folder Redirection that you have in windows 10 This happens because of the tool  that you runs "VMware OS Optimization Tool" on yours Golden Images.

link-

VMware OS Optimization Tool - Bugs

https://labs.vmware.com/flings/vmware-os-optimization-tool/bugs/498

I Open a Case , but unfortunately, although they said that the problem was solve, it did not.

Hope I helped.

Good luck .

0 Kudos
Ittybit
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you! I will test this out but Im using Windows 7 not sure if it's the same issue.

0 Kudos
Ittybit
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

So I tried the registry key settings but this still doesn't work. I can see that the keys have been successfully set but for example when I got into c:\users\%username%\documents  it's not being redirected to the network drive. Anything else? I also confirmed the HKLM keys NonEnum and recreated StubPath which initially was set to regsvr32.exe /s /n /i:U shell32.dll. Anything else this is driving me nuts Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
dbrutus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ittybit,

Are you testing this on a plain VM that you have taken a snapshot of before making any changes? Are you applying to HKEY Current User?

0 Kudos
Ittybit
Contributor
Contributor

Testing on a VM that has been syspred and optimized. Tested by applying the registry settings through UEM and by also updating the default profile. Anyone else have these issues with windows 7?

0 Kudos
dbrutus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When I was having my issue, I exported the registry change and applied it to a standoalone VM that was not running UEM for troubleshooting purposes. The purpose of the test was to find out if the key are applying correctly and also if all the folders are redirecting like they should. Once I verified that was working then I tested with UEM. From the UEM console, you want to make sure that Apply Settings is After profile archive import. Also make sure that Run once is unchecked.

0 Kudos
Ittybit
Contributor
Contributor

So I tested this out on a VM not running UEM and exported the registry keys. Same behaviour when accessing Documents through the libraries section it works fine and redirects to a network location but if you go into c:\users\%username%\documents its not redirecting this location. Is this done by design or is something else the issue?

0 Kudos
dbrutus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Took a screen shot of mine. The left side is the original registry and the right side is the registry after the changes.

0 Kudos
Ittybit
Contributor
Contributor

I'm pretty sure I have the same registry settings but I will confirm tomorrow. Can you also do me a favour and provide me a screenshot of my document properties from the local profile.

Thnaks!

0 Kudos