VMware Communities
Sergio_MS
Contributor
Contributor

Having issues registering macOS VM with Azure Active Directory using Company Portal app for Mac

Microsoft recently released a Mac version of the Company Portal app to register a Mac in Azure Active Directory and enroll it in Intune management policies. I found out that this process fails on a VM because the device model and type reported by the VM are blank. I can see at the top of the Company Portal log:

Device model: nil

Device type: None

On my host Mac, I have no trouble and I'm able to complete the process.

My question is. Is it possible to modify the Device model and Device type on a macOS VM using VMWare Fusion?

Thanks,

Sergio

0 Kudos
3 Replies
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I don't think you can. I can think of the "Device Model" and "Device Type" would be listed in the vm.vmx file, but I check myself and there is no entries for these. Perhaps  you can test adding these two lines with it's respective values in the vm.vmx file and see if this helps? (Of course, ensuring that you create a backup of the vm.vmx file first).

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
Sergio_MS
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried adding Device Model as deviceModel = "MacBook Pro" and it didn't work. I wonder if the property name is spelled differently in the vmx file.

0 Kudos
jobbemann
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, This worked for me:

Add the following two lines (From "System Report" on your physical MACOS host computer, copy paste "Serial Number (system):" and "Model Identifier:") and add the follwing two lines in the VMX file with a text editor (you find the vmx file by [option] + [command] + [Right Click] the MacosVM in the VMWare Fusion Virtual Machine Library window and shoosing "Open Config File In Editor"). Then you can right click the VMX file and open in textedit (remember to disable "smart quotes and dash..." in textedit Preferences before you edit and save, if not the VM may not open correctly afterwards)

Also remember to leave out the "" quotes, even if all other values in the file have the quotes intact.

Then just enroll

serialnumber = C02ZASSDFFASDF

hw.model = MacBookPro16,1

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos