VMware Cloud Community
maxst
Contributor
Contributor

vRA & Tertiary DNS

We’re looking to implement Tertiary DNS records through vRA provisioning.  Reviewing the available entries (and custom properties) for the Network Profiles, it appears that we’re limited to only Primary and Secondary DNS entries.  Is there an out-of-the-box way to implement Tertiary DNS entries for Linux & Windows provisioned systems?

Example of good custom properties:  VirtualMachine.NetworkN.PrimaryDns, VirtualMachine.NetworkN.SecondaryDns

Looking for:  VirtualMachine.NetworkN.TertiaryDns

Backup plan would be doing a vRO workflow, but looking to see if there is another way.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Would this be for single- or multi-homed machines? In other words, one DNS record per NIC, or multiple per NIC?

0 Kudos
maxst
Contributor
Contributor

Multiple (3) per NIC.  I actually ended up opening a case with VMware support and they confirmed that at this time they only support 2 per NIC in vRA.  I've opened it as a feature request.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I'm pretty certain if you're creating these records in different DNS domains then one of the SovLabs DNS modules will create any number you want.

0 Kudos
maxst
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry - bad use of terminology on my part in the original post.  I'm looking to set tertiary DNS Server addresses on the tenant systems/NICs themselves (for name resolution lookups), not create DNS records.

Tough I'm very familiar with the SovLabs modules, as we are current customers.  Excellent products for anyone considering them to help with CMP extensibility!

0 Kudos