VMware Cloud Community
jbg70
Contributor
Contributor

Esxi 6.5.0U1 and LSI SMIS Providers

Hi,

does anybody had success working with LSI megaraid SMIS Providers into Esxi 6.5.0U1?

I successfull installed the latest vib file downloaded from LSI web site (00.66.V0.02), but I cannot connect from any client.

In webinterface, in Monitor-> Storage area, I see the disks and the battery status, but there is also the following message on the top and in yellow background: The Small Footprint CIM Broker Daemon (SFCBD) is not running. Storage health data is reported by this daemon. Please see this KB article for information on enabling this service.

I found CIM server stopped at boot, if I manually start it, it runs, but I cannot access to LSI megaraid data from any client.

I created a firewall rule for ports 3071 and 5571 UDP and TCP, but from esxi shell, nc -z $ip_address 3000-5900 does not reports any open port.

Any hints to start trying to discovery the problem?

Thank you!

11 Replies
m4ntic0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i have this running.

is your esxi host discovered in Management Software? if not make sure your esxi is resolveable with dns. just make a host file entry for your esxi.

0 Kudos
jbg70
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

I already did it. If I ping it from any client by hostname, it replies. I created an entry in windows client host file.

It looks like the "daemon" that should listen on the tcp ports is not running on esxi host.

Additional detail: my motherboard does not support IPMI, could be this the problem?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
m4ntic0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

no, you dont need ipmi.

i have 6.5u1 and the same cim version as you, and only set the host entry for dns.

in msm i set the all display cimom option

https://mm-vault.de/chevereto/image/YIt

https://mm-vault.de/chevereto/image/n6S

0 Kudos
jbg70
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

it is exactly what i did also!

Esxi host is not discoverable. But also on the tcp ports (3071 and 5571) on esxi host looks to be no daemon listening on.

What I see after boot, is that CIM service is stopped even if I can see storage controller details and battery status!

Could you please run into an esxi console nc -z $ip_esxi_host 3000-5600 , just to check if I am focusing in a bad direction.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
m4ntic0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

if i run this on esxi cli i get nothing?

[root@esxi01:~] nc -z 192.168.2.131 3000-5600

[root@esxi01:~]

is your client and esxi in the same subnet for discovery?

jbg70
Contributor
Contributor

I do not get anything also running the command, but I expected you should have at least tcp port 3071 open.

My clients are all in the same subnet.

I tried to look traffic with wireshark; the clients try to connect to TCP port 3071, but the connection is reset.

If you do not get anything running the command, it is very strange...

I installed MSM service in a linux guest, activating pci passthrough and the same client worked, but I want esxi to be able to manage the raid card, since i lose it in esxi.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
m4ntic0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i tried it again, with other ports and 3071 again:

[root@esxi01:~] nc -z 192.168.2.131 80

Connection to 192.168.2.131 80 port [tcp/http] succeeded!

[root@esxi01:~] nc -z 192.168.2.131 3071

[root@esxi01:~] nc -z 192.168.2.131 443

Connection to 192.168.2.131 443 port [tcp/https] succeeded!

then i connected again with MSM 17.05.00.02 installed on a MS Server 2016.

i have a LSI 9271-8i Controller with latest firmware 3.460.115-6465

but i had some trouble too with the cim provider:

/bin/sfcbd crashed problem ESXi 6.5u1 with LSI CIM provider

At the beginning my 2016 server could not discover the esxi too.

all settings were the same, but i had to simple reinstall the MSM software.

jbg70
Contributor
Contributor

I solved the problem removing and reinstalling windows application into the clients, but i choose complete software install, insted of only client.

The first time I installed only the client part, so this could be the problem.

Thank you m4ntic0r, you put me in the right direction.

0 Kudos
swspjcd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have almost the same setup but I am using the 00.67.V0.04 version. It seems to work fine but then if I leave it idle and try to to reconnect with the client, it no longer connects. The only workaround I have found is to stop/start the sfcbd-watchdog service and then it will continue to work for awhile until the next timeout.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
MikeKing
Contributor
Contributor

This is Correct for Every Installation I have done. MSM has to be a complete install and choose no on Server settings.

0 Kudos
kbiradar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Actualy you can see what all providers been installed on your esxi host.

Run below command

esxcli system wbem provider list

And you will see output something like this

Name                      Enabled  Loaded

------------------------  -------  ------

sfcb_base                    true    true

vmw_base                     true    true

vmw_hdr                      true    true