VMware Communities
ajaychan
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 12 Pro: One of the disks in this virtual machine is already in use by a virtual machine or by a snapshot.

Hi,

I have tried following several of the forum topics on this error including deleting lock files as well as cloning disks and am still receiving the same error.

"Unable to open file "F:\Virtual Machines\Windows Server 2012\Windows Server 2012-000009.vmdk":

One of the disks in this virtual machine is already in use by a virtual machine or by a snapshot."

I'm not quite sure how to recover from this error. I could not delete the snapshots either.

Thanks,

Ajay

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wenwang_myheave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To help us to debug the issues, could you pls help to provide following information:
  1. WS build
  2. Host OS, Guest OS information
  3. Detailed steps about how to reproduce this issue
  4. ui log (should be under %TEMP%, you can get detailed log location under "Help > About VMware Workstation ")
  5. vm related log file, you can get the vm log file location by choosing the VM within VM library, then check "Help > About VMware Workstation".
      if there is a vm crash, there should be also *.dmp, *.corez file under the same location as vm log file, pls collect them as well
0 Kudos