VMware Horizon Community
szilagyic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Reset Desktop option missing from Horizon Client

Hello:

From time to time our users experience a problem with their linked clone desktop, where the screen goes black and they cannot reconnect and get back to the desktop.  We are on Horizon 7.0.3. I had them try forcing a "Logoff" from the Horizon Client itself, but after doing that they try to reconnect and get a message saying that it is waiting for a previous session to log off, and they cannot get back in to their desktop.  In every case, doing a Reset (reboot) of their VM will fix it.  I noticed that the "Reset Desktop" option does not show up for a linked clone pool, and I do not see a way to add it so the users can do their own reset rather than calling our Helpdesk.  When I edit the linked clone pool settings, I do not see the option "Allow users to reset their desktop", whereas other pools like a full clone pool that we have , does have this setting that we can toggle.  How can we enable users to reset their desktops for a linked clone pool?  I've tried reading on this and so far coming up with nothing.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
pchapman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This would happen when the pool is set to refresh or delete the VM on logoff.  When you select either of those the option goes away.

0 Kudos
kevinpower
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey,

Indeed, the reset option was greyed out while editing the pool

0 Kudos
szilagyic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This would happen when the pool is set to refresh or delete the VM on logoff.  When you select either of those the option goes away.

OK thank you, I did not know this.  So I guess the next question is, is it best practice on Linked Clones to do the refresh/delete on logoff?  We have always set this option as we figured this gives a way to make sure VMs are in a clean state before a user logs in to them.  Or any downsides to setting that option to "Never"?

0 Kudos
pchapman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It depends on your specific use case, but generally yes.  I usually use refresh on logoff, I haven't seen much of a use case to delete on logoff.  Especially when combined with a UEM Solution like VMware UEM or ProfileUnity.  If you look at instant clones, they don't even give you the option (They delete on logoff by default)

You don't want to set it to never because the VM's will get filled up with junk temp files, malware, etc and the disks will continue to grow which could cause the drive to fill up depending on the size. 

0 Kudos
szilagyic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It depends on your specific use case, but generally yes.  I usually use refresh on logoff, I haven't seen much of a use case to delete on logoff.  Especially when combined with a UEM Solution like VMware UEM or ProfileUnity.  If you look at instant clones, they don't even give you the option (They delete on logoff by default)

You don't want to set it to never because the VM's will get filled up with junk temp files, malware, etc and the disks will continue to grow which could cause the drive to fill up depending on the size. 

OK that's kind of what we were thinking too.

Unfortunately, we are still stuck when a user has a desktop that they try to fix by themselves and gets in a state where one of our admins needs to intervene.  Unless there's some other workaround, but so far I do not know of one.  It seems weird to me that the option for the user to reset their own desktop disappears when the refresh on logoff option is used.

0 Kudos