VMware Modern Apps Community
sowmya1234
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

what is the equivalent function for nonNegativeDerivative of graphite in wavefront?.

Hello Team,

i want to migrate graphs from graphite to wavefront. we use a function called nonNegativeDerivative in graphite. i am unable to find the equivalent function in wavefront. could you please provide information regarding the same?

the description of these functions in graphite is as follows.

derivative(seriesList)

This is the opposite of the integral function. This is useful for taking a running total metric and calculating the delta between subsequent data points.

This function does not normalize for periods of time, as a true derivative would. Instead see the perSecond() function to calculate a rate of change over time.

Example:

&target=derivative(company.server.application01.ifconfig.TXPackets) 

Each time you run ifconfig, the RX and TXPackets are higher (assuming there is network traffic.) By applying the derivative function, you can get an idea of the packets per minute sent or received, even though you’re only recording the total.

nonNegativeDerivative(seriesList, maxValue=None)

Same as the derivative function above, but ignores datapoints that trend down. Useful for counters that increase for a long time, then wrap or reset. (Such as if a network interface is destroyed and recreated by unloading and re-loading a kernel module, common with USB / WiFi cards.

Example:

&target=nonNegativederivative(company.server.application01.ifconfig.TXPackets) 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AdamjWF
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

rate() is the function to express a nonNegativeDerivative.  This document is the best source of information when looking through Wavefront query language capabilities: https://docs.wavefront.com/query_language_reference.html.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AdamjWF
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

rate() is the function to express a nonNegativeDerivative.  This document is the best source of information when looking through Wavefront query language capabilities: https://docs.wavefront.com/query_language_reference.html.

0 Kudos
sowmya1234
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Adam,

i used the rate function, but it doesn't give me the same graph as of graphite. the values are different when used the non derivative function in graphite and rate in wavefront.

this is graph from graphite. the value is in mil here.

graph from wavefront. the max value is 44k in wavefront.

0 Kudos