VMware Horizon Community
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Remove desktop, new one created with different name than the one removed, why?

View 7.2 running under ESXi 6.0 Update 3

160 View desktops with this numbering scheme: Student001, Student002, ...Student160

I remove Student007, View spins up a new desktop to keep the total at 160 but the new desktop is named Student161 instead of Studen007

In other words I still have 160 desktops but Student007 is not there but Student161 is

Never saw this behavior under previous versions of View. Under previous versions all desktops were always consecutively numbered

Any idea if there is a fix?

18 Replies
Magneet
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

couple of maybe stupid questions:

• does the service account have the proper rights in AD to replace the objects?
  • Do you have allow reuse of pre-excisting computer accounts enabled?
  • Are the computer accounts still visible in the adam database? if thos entries are corrupt the might also no reuse the names
0 Kudos
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The service account I am using is a Domain Admin so yes it has the proper priviledges

I did not have the box checked to re-use computer accounts. I checked that box, removed a few desktops and observed the same behavior where new desktops where spun up higher in the number range

I stop provisioning, deleted all desktops except 2, enable provisioning and got Student001....Student160

I then removed 5 desktops and 5 new ones were spun up, Student161...Student165

Still looking for a solution

0 Kudos
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I opened a ticket with VMWare and this is a known bug in View 7.2. A fix will be released in View 7.3

In the Adam database the value of pae-VmNameReuseAllowed is set to 0 when it should be set to 1

pchapman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Does anybody know if VMware has a patch available for 7.2 which fixes the issue?  I would like a permanent solution without relying on users to manually run ADSI edit after creating new pools.  This is for a customer that will not have the budget to hire professional services for the 7.3 upgrade when it comes out, and was hoping to stay on 7.2 for quite a while.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
XSavior
Contributor
Contributor

I agree.

I have hated this so much. I wish this would get fixed.

I have a Horizon 6.2.4 Deployment and use Dedicated Desktops. When we terminate an employee we nuke the VM and a new one generates to replace it. It always goes to the bottom of the list adding a new one.

I wish Horizon was smart enough to see the missing VM and replace it instead of running up the VM ID's. Does not take long to get the VM ID's int he naming to get out of control over time.

If I could ask VMware for something I would ask them to get smarter about VM generating looking for gaps in the naming scheme so you could slot in replacements in missing holes.

0 Kudos
HussamRabaya
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Horizon 7.3 is available for download

Download VMware Horizon 7

0 Kudos
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Here are the release note, I do not see this under resolved issues

Release Notes for VMware Horizon 7 version 7.3

0 Kudos
HussamRabaya
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

7.3 pulled out from download

new update will come in 5 Octobor , hope they will cover this issue

0 Kudos
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I opened a ticket with VMWare support. They told me two things

1. View 7.3 does fix this issue
  2. Not every bug that is fixed is reported in Resolved Issues in the release notes

The first one is good news. The second one is surprising, not sure why VMWare would not list every fixed problem in Resolved Issues is beyond me

HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I still see View 7.3 in downloads, it is October 2nd. Where did you hear it was pulled?

0 Kudos
MartinE11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We face the same issue regarding numbering scheme. I was unable to find a KB to this issue.

It would be nice to have an official statement regarding this issue and the remove of Horizon 7.3.

Unofficial sources:

Horizon 7.3 Release Pulled Temporarily

https://www.reddit.com/r/vmware/comments/731dkf/horizon_73_release_pulled_temporarily/#bottom-commen...

HendersonD

Are you sure you are able to download it? For me the final link to the binary is not available.

0 Kudos
HussamRabaya
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

also Vmware send email

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You are correct, I am not able to download 7.3. I can get to the download page where it is listed but the link does not work. I am glad I did not download it and deploy it given the bug they found. Waiting for the new code to be posted

0 Kudos
pchapman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Horizon 7.3.1 is available to download.  I upgraded the lab here yesterday, so far so good.  Haven't tested linked clones yet, only instant.  I'll see if the bug was fixed at some point today.

0 Kudos
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Please let us know if provisioning linked clones works and whether this update fixes the original problem of numbering VMs when one is removed

0 Kudos
pchapman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ok.. here's my environment:

Horizon 7.2 upgraded to Horizon 7.3.1

Created a new pool  "BugTest" - contains 2 VM's - BugTest-01 and BugTest-02

Deleted BugTest-01

Horizon automatically created a new VM named BugTest-01

Checked ADSI edit for the pool settings, PAE-VmNameReuseAllowed is set to <not set>

Seems to be fixed, although I don't fully understand why the PAE-VMNameReuseAllowed is set to <not set>

MartinE11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thx for sharing your acknowledgement.

I am still waiting for an official VMware KB, which tells me how to workaround the bug. I don't like to update the environment again.

0 Kudos
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have a pool called Sandbox. The master image is called Sandbox0 and there are only three desktops, Sandbox001, Sandbox002, and Sandbox003

1. I disabled provisioning on this pool
  2. I selected the three desktops in the View console and choose Remove. After a few minutes all three desktops were deleted along with the replica
  3. I went into ADSI Edit and and set "pae-VmNameReuseAllowed" to 1 for this pool
  4. I re-enabled provisioning. I took about 10 minutes to build the three desktops.
  5. I then selected Sandbox002 and Sandbox003 and choose Remove.
  6. Once removed, new ones will have to be made since the pool size is 3 desktops.
  7. After waiting a few minutes, I found the new ones did re-use names and were named Sandbox002 and Sandbox003
  8. In the View console I clicked the Edit button on the Summary tab for this pool and then choose OK
  9. I once again Removed Sandbox002 and Sandbox003 and waited for two new desktops to be made. The two new ones were Sandbox002 and Sandbox003
It appears that changing "pae-VmNameReuseAllowed" to 1 for a pool ensures that if desktops are removed new ones with the same names appear. It also seems this persists even after the pool is edited

0 Kudos