VMware Cloud Community
lorried82
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Create a VM from a template specifying the MAC and VLAN, IP

I am trying to rebuild several VM's each night and want to do this from a template . I have found when I am doing these builds I need to update the MAC, VLAN, and IP information in order to get them set up correctly. I could easily import a file to read in all the fields, but I am not sure how to put this together. I was able to get this working on terraform but I would like to have this on powershell so I can create a scheduled job for it with the rest of our stuff.

appreciate the help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
adamjg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

So what I do is take my already existing (created manually) customization spec, copy it to a temp one in my script, do the DHCP vs. static there, then delete the temp one, like this:

#Creates random 8 character variable

$Chars = [Char[]]"abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz"

$RandomName = ($Chars | Get-Random -Count 😎 -join ""

$osCust = Get-OSCustomizationSpec -Name $osCustName | New-OSCustomizationSpec -Name $RandomName -Type Persistent

You can leave the original cust spec as DHCP and set the IP as needed:

Switch ($IPOSType) {

"DHCP" {

Get-OSCustomizationNicMapping -OSCustomizationSpec $osCust | Set-OSCustomizationNicMapping -IpMode UseDHCP -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue | Out-Null

}

"Windows" {

Get-OSCustomizationNicMapping -OSCustomizationSpec $osCust | Set-OSCustomizationNicMapping -IpMode UseStaticIP -IpAddress $IP -SubnetMask $SubnetMask -DefaultGateway $Gateway -Dns $DNS -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue | Out-Null

}

"Linux" {

Get-OSCustomizationNicMapping -OSCustomizationSpec $osCust | Set-OSCustomizationNicMapping -IpMode UseStaticIP -IpAddress $IP -SubnetMask $SubnetMask -DefaultGateway $Gateway -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue | Out-Null

}

}

Then after the script is done I delete the temp one:

Remove-OSCustomizationSpec $osCust -Confirm:$false

Hopefully that makes sense. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Why don't you use an OSCustomizationSpec?

Have a look at the New-OSCustomizationSpec and New-OSCustomizationSpecNicMapping cmdlets.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
lorried82
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So that is what I was seeing but I am confused on how to put this together since most of what I see out there is for Windows.

My template I want to use is RHEL7. I have followed guidelines by RedHat on how to prepare the server so that I can convert it to a template - all which seems good. If I deploy the template manually - all I need to do is update the Mac for the NIC and everything works.

When I try and script this - I am running into issues where the hostname, IP, DNS, etc is not getting updates. I am confused on how to set up the OSCustomizationNicMapping.

so if I had very basic to just test if I can get what I want to run - how do I connect the specs with inputting them into my build?

$OSSpecs = Get-OSCustomizationNicMapping | Set-OSCustomizationNicMapping $spec -IpMode UseStaticIP -IPAddress 1.2.3.4 -SubnetMask 255.255.254.0 -DefaultGateway 1.2.3.1

New-VM -Name test -Template template_test -VMHost esxihost -OSCustomizationSpec $OSSpecs

Start-VM -VM test -Confirm:$false

thanks

0 Kudos
adamjg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You're doing almost exactly what I'm doing.  I did find that for some reason the Linux specs don't accept the -DNS parameter. Looks like you have the $spec variable in the wrong place...

Get-OSCustomizationNicMapping -OSCustomizationSpec $osCust | Set-OSCustomizationNicMapping -IpMode UseStaticIP -IpAddress $IP -SubnetMask $SubnetMask -DefaultGateway $Gateway

0 Kudos
lorried82
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok so I have figured out a way to create a customization. I am still unsure of how to call this customization and then pass it the IP information.

Also - how can I get the option to 'Use and application configured on the vCenter Server to generate the IP Address'?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
lorried82
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thank you! ok so when I make the OS customization I was choosing DHCP so that I could then pass it what to override. Or do I need to set up static IP then pass it what to over ride?

0 Kudos
lorried82
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

or I guess the better question is how do I set the IP settings for just the VM I am creating rather than my OSCustomization setting?

0 Kudos
adamjg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

So what I do is take my already existing (created manually) customization spec, copy it to a temp one in my script, do the DHCP vs. static there, then delete the temp one, like this:

#Creates random 8 character variable

$Chars = [Char[]]"abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz"

$RandomName = ($Chars | Get-Random -Count 😎 -join ""

$osCust = Get-OSCustomizationSpec -Name $osCustName | New-OSCustomizationSpec -Name $RandomName -Type Persistent

You can leave the original cust spec as DHCP and set the IP as needed:

Switch ($IPOSType) {

"DHCP" {

Get-OSCustomizationNicMapping -OSCustomizationSpec $osCust | Set-OSCustomizationNicMapping -IpMode UseDHCP -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue | Out-Null

}

"Windows" {

Get-OSCustomizationNicMapping -OSCustomizationSpec $osCust | Set-OSCustomizationNicMapping -IpMode UseStaticIP -IpAddress $IP -SubnetMask $SubnetMask -DefaultGateway $Gateway -Dns $DNS -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue | Out-Null

}

"Linux" {

Get-OSCustomizationNicMapping -OSCustomizationSpec $osCust | Set-OSCustomizationNicMapping -IpMode UseStaticIP -IpAddress $IP -SubnetMask $SubnetMask -DefaultGateway $Gateway -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue | Out-Null

}

}

Then after the script is done I delete the temp one:

Remove-OSCustomizationSpec $osCust -Confirm:$false

Hopefully that makes sense. 

0 Kudos
lorried82
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ah ok - that sounds like that could work - thank you

0 Kudos