VMware Communities
antnythr
Contributor
Contributor

File menu almost always greyed out after exiting from full screen

I'm routinely switching back and forth between my VM's and host system and almost every time the file menu will become greyed out (I usually notice it after exiting fullscreen).

2017-08-24_174617.png

Why does this happen and how do I prevent it?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Menu option grayed out is a result of preference file corruption. Hence,  suggest to manually remove the components and reinstall Fusion. If the issue still persists, you can reach out to support who can suggest further resolution steps

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
antnythr
Contributor
Contributor

First off, I'm not using Fusion which you can clearly see from my screenshot

Second, I've reinstalled on a number of occasions, that's not the issue

Third, I've compared my VMX against a clean install and there's literally no difference outside of the uuid's and MAC address. That was the first thing I checked before posting.

Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
gimmely
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Perhaps some information about your host and guest(s)?  And log file(s) for the guest(s)?

0 Kudos
antnythr
Contributor
Contributor

Arch linux Host / Windows 10 Guest

If I use Ubuntu, the same Guest VM enters and exits full screen normally as it should, so the issue is something in how Arch is configured (on my system at least)

I've looked through the log files and couldn't see any differences other than timestamps, process ids, etc, regardless of whether I was using the VM on Ubuntu or Arch hosts.

0 Kudos