0 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2017 9:04 AM by nelliott

Corner case:  Sole VM on host has independent disk

nelliott Novice

We have a new host that has only a single VM.  This VM has a local VMDK for the OS, and a large, independent VMDK on the SAN for temporary file storage.  Running ghettoVCB results in:

###### Final status: ERROR: No VMs backed up! ######

We have a custom backup file for this VM in the backup_configs directory that specifies VMDK_FILES_TO_BACKUP with only the local VMDK listed; and I can see the local VMDK was backed up successfully, so I took a look at the ghettoVCB.sh script:

(Line 1139-1142)

elif [[ ${VM_HAS_INDEPENDENT_DISKS} -eq 1 ]] ; then

logger "info" "WARN: ${VM_NAME} has some Independent VMDKs that can not be backed up!\n";

[[ ${ENABLE_COMPRESSION} -eq 1 ]] && [[ $COMPRESSED_OK -eq 1 ]] || echo "WARN: ${VM_NAME} has some I

VMDK_FAILED=1

Later in the getFinalStatus function the evaluation looks for "VM_OK" to be set to 1 in order to register any successful backup.  At the start of the script, VM_OK is initialized to 0... and never set to 1 in the event of a VM with an independent disk.

So I added line 1143:

VM_OK=1

Now, I get the message:

###### Final status: WARNING: All VMs backed up, but some disk(s) failed! ######

I wish there was a way to tell ghetto that independent disks are OK, and I don't want to be told that they "failed" ... I am tempted to modify the script further...

Thoughts?