VMware Cloud Community
jayharmer
Contributor
Contributor

How to cfg specific adapter for vmkernel services

Hello,

Need help configuring specific adapters for vmkernel services.I'm running vcsa 6.5 and the servers are on 6.0.

I have three Dell servers. They each have a 4-port nic. I was hoping to have one physical port used for management and one for vmotion, and one for vsan.

It appears that all 4 ports are configured together in one pg. This physical port is untagged at the switch. All services and vsan ping tests work and connectivity is in  place.

vmk0 - mgmt-pg

vmk1 - vsan-pg

vmk2 - vmotion-pg

Two questions:

1) How do I give vsan and vmotion their own dedicated phyiscal port? Do I need to create new uplink groups with one physical adapter/link each?

vmk0 - mgmt-pg  =   pnic #1

vmk1 - vsan-pg   =   pnic #2

vmk2 - vmotion-pg  =   pnic #3

2) Can I remove uplinks from an existing pg? I don't see the option.

Thank you,

Jay

0 Kudos
2 Replies
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

1. Create a dedicated port-group for each service (vsan-pg,mgmt-pg,vmotion-pg) and add the only uplink in active rest you can push down as unused or standby on the same switch 2.

2. In order to remove the uplink, you need to edit the switch setting and remove the uplink.

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
Nick_Andreev
Expert
Expert

Go to port group settings and in teaming and failover settings leave one adapter as active and move the rest to unused.

---
If you found my answers helpful please consider marking them as helpful or correct.
VCIX-DCV, VCIX-NV, VCAP-CMA | vExpert '16, '17, '18
Blog: http://niktips.wordpress.com | Twitter: @nick_andreev_au
0 Kudos