VMware Cloud Community
Howiedog
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi Host and Persistent Mac

Hi all;

Major..Major...rude awakening today. Something I was NOT expecting. nor should have been?

Issue. I needed to make some updates and network changes. Going from ESXi 5.1 to v6.0.0 and in doing so, I changed out a 2x 10GB FCoE Nic from one Host with a 4 x 1GB CU Nic on the other Host. (Physical NIC Cards you understand...physical...not virtual...PHYSICAL!!!!)

Guess what I found out. The goddman MAC addy persisted on each Host from the 'old' nics. WHAT??  Who is the moron that decided that?? What other physical NIC card in the WHOLE WIDE FRIGGING WORLD does the MAC address NOT FOLLOW the goddamn card. Ok..there may be a few for whatever reason...but....VMWARE?? Morons.

So this stupidity brought down the network, MAC Flaps, cannot reach Hosts as one thinks its the other and visa versa. CEO's breathing down my neck. I had more people in my office today than all year long.

Now to figure out how to work around this stupidity.

I am PISSED.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Please review KB vmk0 management network MAC address is not updated when NIC card is replaced or vmkernel has duplicate MAC address (1031111) as this may clear up some of the questions you might have and possibly provide the fix to the issue.

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos