VMware Cloud Community
Blaike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Get Allocated Memory Totals by VMs in HA Override Policy

I've come up on a bit of an issue where I need to generate an HA compliance report for our clusters which have VM Overrides configured.  About half of the given VMs in a cluster have their HA restart priority set to disabled, so they don't need to be included in the report totals.  However, those VMs still have the DASProtected property returning, so I'm not sure how to go about filtering these VMs out so I can collect accurate usage totals for VMs that need to be failed over.

This is the script I have so far that returns info for each VM; the data isn't sorted yet.

&{Get-View -ViewType VirtualMachine | %{

New-Object PSObject -Property @{

Name = $_.Name

Host = Get-View $_.Summary.Runtime.Host | Select -ExpandProperty Name

CPU = $_.Config.Hardware.NumCPU

vCPU = &{if($_.Config.Hardware.NumCoresPerSocket -gt 0){$_.Config.Hardware.NumCPU/$_.Config.Hardware.NumCoresPerSocket}}

MemConfiguredMB = $_.Summary.Config.memorySizeMB

DASEnabled = &{if($_.Runtime.dasvmprotection.dasProtected){$_.Runtime.dasvmprotection.dasProtected}else{$false}}

}

}}

To be clear, DASEnabled shows up as true right now for all VMs that are online and running, which doesn't help me.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The VM restart priority is kept in the Cluster object.

You can do something like this

$clusterName = 'MyCluster'

$cluster = Get-View -ViewType ClusterComputeResource -Filter @{'Name'=$clusterName}

$vmDRestartisabled = $cluster.ConfigurationEx.DasVmConfig | where{$_.DasSettings.RestartPriority -eq [VMware.Vim.ClusterDasVmSettingsRestartPriority]::disabled} | %{

Get-View -Id $_.Key -Property Name | select -ExpandProperty Name

}

Get-View -ViewType VirtualMachine | where{$vmDRestartisabled -notcontains $_.Name} | %

Name = $_.Name 

vCPU = &{if($_.Config.Hardware.NumCoresPerSocket -gt 0){$_.Config.Hardware.NumCPU/$_.Config.Hardware.NumCoresPerSocket}} 

DASEnabled = &{if($_.Runtime.dasvmprotection.dasProtected){$_.Runtime.dasvmprotection.dasProtected}else{$false}} 

}

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

2 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The VM restart priority is kept in the Cluster object.

You can do something like this

$clusterName = 'MyCluster'

$cluster = Get-View -ViewType ClusterComputeResource -Filter @{'Name'=$clusterName}

$vmDRestartisabled = $cluster.ConfigurationEx.DasVmConfig | where{$_.DasSettings.RestartPriority -eq [VMware.Vim.ClusterDasVmSettingsRestartPriority]::disabled} | %{

Get-View -Id $_.Key -Property Name | select -ExpandProperty Name

}

Get-View -ViewType VirtualMachine | where{$vmDRestartisabled -notcontains $_.Name} | %

Name = $_.Name 

}

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

Blaike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much for taking the time to share this answer - it works perfectly.

0 Kudos