VMware Cloud Community
defmania
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Total number of VMs and Deployments in vRealize Automation - vROps 6.6

Hello,

We have a problem since upgrading vROps from 6.5 to 6.6. Before the upgrade, when running 6.5, we had the vRealize Automation management pack and there were some important metrics in there which helped us create some relevant dashboards for our infrastructure. Those metrics were related to the count of VMs and count of deployments in vRealize Automation. This helped us in creating some custom views for the number of VMs deployment per month (the total number each month) which was very useful in seeing the trend and also a "Trend" View with the number of deployments for the past month, very useful in getting an overall graphic picture of how vRA is used, and a total number of VMs and total number of deployments in vRA.

Since the upgrade to 6.6, which has direct integration with vRealize Automation, something changed in regards to the relevant metrics for Deployments/VMs and that broke some of the Widgets (deployment number trend, total VM count in vRA, total number of deployments) from our custom dashboard.

I have some questions:

1. Has anyone, running the vRealize Automation management pack, performed the upgrade from 6.5 to 6.6 and had issues with vRA metrics afterwards?

2. I thought the culprit was the old management pack, maybe something doesn't play right with the "in-box integration" introduced by 6.6. Is the version showing up in the Solutions pane 3.0.5703223, the right one?

PS: we are running 6.6, not 6.6.1.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I am and have been using the vRA management pack, although since the upgrade to vROps 6.6 I have not personally observed this only due to the fact that I have not looked. What version of vRA are you using? When you say that "something changed" are you saying that you've noticed some metrics that are now absent? What symptoms have you observed?

0 Kudos
defmania
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's vRA 7.3. The symptoms are pretty straightforward, the widgets on my custom dashboard that used to show the total number of VMs, the total number of deployments and the deployments trend for the past month aren't working. I tried tweaking them and going through the metrics, but things are different in 6.6 than they used to be in 6.5.

In 6.5 we had one Scoreboard widget showing two metrics Summary|VM Count and summary|DeploymentCount both for the Tenant object type. Now those two metrics are no longer available for the Tenant in 6.6. There are two metrics though, Deployment Count|VM Count for the Blueprint object type and Summary|VM Count for the Deployment, but those aren't really useful.

0 Kudos
defmania
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Going back to this thread a bit...

Apparently the only metric available, as part of the Management Pack for vRA 3.x that comes with vROps 6.6, is the DeploymentCount|Total Deployed, which really isn't of any help in getting relevant data regarding the total number of deployments and the total number of VMs that were created through vRA.

In the previous version of the Management Pack 2.x, which was available for vROps 6.5 and earlier versions, there are multiple metrics collected by the MP. The two most relevant and extremely useful are the Summary|Deployment Count and Summary|VM Count. Both provide insights into the total number of deployments and VMs created through vRA.

Is anyone using vROps 6.6 and getting useful deployment/VM data? It's really hard to believe that I'm the only one using vRA 7.3 and vROps 6.6 and trying to get some numbers out of it Smiley Happy.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Those two metrics you cite are collected on the Blueprint and Deployment objects, respectively, although they aren't directly incorporated into the two available dashboards. The integrated vRA pack is somewhat lacking over the previous version, sadly, and I hope they improve upon it going forward.

0 Kudos