SyApps
Contributor
Contributor

VM Demand vs Entitlement

Greetings!

vSphere 5.5

VM: Server 2012 R2

Cores: 2:2

Here's my question: The inserted image chart shows that this VM's demand is far higher than entitlement. Is this Ok?

Demand to Entitlement.PNG

I don't quite understand the relationship between the two metrics. We're reviewing this VM for performance issues. My naive understanding is that the level of demand is what the VM is asking for at times and the entitlement is what it could receive no matter what.

Is there a better metric to compare this to? Should I be concerned about this?

Thanks in advance!

Always a big thanks to the community in advance! Dan Lee
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
dekoshal
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Lets start with what these counter means:

1. capacity.entitlement: CPU resources devoted by the ESXi scheduler to the virtual machines  (This could be less than provisioned CPU for VM. In some cases, the virtual machine's demand is greater than its resource entitlement. When this occurs, the virtual machine doesn't receive enough CPU resources. Refer document Insufficient CPU or Memory Resources for factors that influence the entitlement for a virtual machine)

2. capacity.demand: The amount of CPU resources a virtual machine would use if there were no CPU contention or CPU limit.

Reference:

CPU Counters

If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Correct or Helpful to award points.

Best Regards,

Deepak Koshal

CNE|CLA|CWMA|VCP4|VCP5|CCAH

sxnxr
Commander
Commander

Look at the difference between demand and usage.

If it is demanding more that it is using then that could cause performance problems. If demand is higher then start looking at contention, and ready time. if they are high (above 5-10%) then you may have to many vms on the one hosts (But in most cases to many over sized vms).

If the usage is at 100% and demand is higher then this may point to the need for more vCPUs in the VM

In my experience keeping demand and usage the same is best for vm performance.

But as the above post states you may have a limit on the VM that needs raised