VMware Cloud Community
jeff_dbsi
Contributor
Contributor

USB Pass through ESX 6.5

I have a VM running Windows 10 pro, that has a pass through Western Digital My Book external hard drive used to store backups. The server is a Dell T430. The external drive was working for some time, but now it is disappearing from the VM. When I go into edit setting and try to re-add the "Host USB Device" nothing is listed. But when I unplug the drive from the USB port and plug it back in then it shows up in the VM with no issues. The drive was working fine on the old server which was running ESX 5.5 and was a Dell T310. The old server also had USB 2.0 ports, the new server has USB 3.0 Ports. For the VM USB controller it is "USB xHCI controller USB 3.0"

I have tried taking the VM down to USB 2.0 and the same thing happens. I tried a different external hard drive and the same thing happens. I tried different USB ports both front and back on the server and the same thing happens. I even tried on another VM running Server 2008 R2 that was pre-configured with USB 2.0 and the same thing happens.

So I believe it is something within VMWare but I just don't know what it could be.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AishR
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

0 Kudos