VMware Horizon Community
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Recursive Unlock Feature Requirements

Does anyone know the exact requirements of the recursive unlock feature that is part of the 4.5 View Client?  And by this I mean do you need the 4.5 View Client, Connection Servers at 7.2 and Agent at 7.2?  Is it possible to use this feature with any one of those pieces not at the latest level?

10 Replies
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Does anyone have this feature actually working?

0 Kudos
HussamRabaya
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Recursive Unlock

The Recursive Unlock feature unlocks all remote sessions after the client machine has been unlocked. After the user logs in to the server, remote sessions such as published applications, RDSH desktops and Windows desktops are unlocked. This feature removes unnecessary authentication steps for the user.

Requirements for this feature include:

• The Windows client device must be domain-joined (mean its supported with Horizon Client for Windows only, linux  & web client will not work )
  • The user logging in to the client must be the same user logged in to the remote session (user domain account)
  • Enable the client setting Log in as current user  (directly from the client setting or from group policy)
0 Kudos
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yeah, I have seen that, but that obviously is not all of the requirements for Recursive Unlock to work.  It requires at least Client 4.5 and from what I can tell probably requires view connection server 7.1 or maybe even 7.2 and may also require Agent 7.2 which is what I am trying to figure out.  Unfortunately that post in the VMware documentation doesn't actually address any of those requirements.

0 Kudos
pchapman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Considering it is first mentioned in the 7.2 release notes, I'd say its safe to assume it requires 7.2 CS and 7.2 agent. 

0 Kudos
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Actually it was first mentioned in the 4.5 Client release notes.  But also a client setting requiring a specific connection server version and desktop agent isn't at all obvious.

0 Kudos
ksliger_pnfp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

BUMP

The lack of clear guidance and documentation on this feature is disappointing to say the least. Come on VMware!!

Any VDI admin doing the job for more than just a little while knows that the user experience is crucial. Logging in to a locked windows desktop on a laptop/PC and then logging into a locked horizon client has been one of the loudest complaints I have received. Help us out here! I am at 7.0.3/4.5 and can confirm the feature does not work, so assuming it works on 7.2+

Can anyone else please confirm this for us since VMware didn't clearly document it?

Thanks!

Ken

0 Kudos
grossag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

My understanding is that it requires 4.5 Client, 7.2 Connection Server, and 7.2 Agent. This is because it required changes to all 3 components. I will ask the engineer in charge of the feature to confirm.

0 Kudos
ksliger_pnfp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you! It would be very helpful to get this confirmed.

0 Kudos
StevenLiuEUC
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

As Recursive Unlock is a new feature across client/broker/agent, like Adam mentioned in Update #7, Yes, this feature requires 4.5+ Client, 7.2+ Connection Server, and 7.2+ Agent。

ksliger_pnfp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for confirming.

0 Kudos