VMware Cloud Community
virtuallysi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Automating vCentre 6.5 Integrated Windows Authentication

Has anyone been able to script this part of a VCSA 6.5 deployment? Ideally I'd like to add it to Active Directory and set the domain identity source as the default domain.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
virtuallysi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For completeness I was able to find a solution to this by referencing the below two KB articles.  Even though one of the articles doesn't mention it applies to 6.5, it's still valid:

UPDATE 26/3/2018: If you've got an external PSC then you will need to run the below on the PSC not on the vCenter VM

Adding an Integrated Active Directory (IWA) Identity Source without the vSphere Web Client for vSphe...

cd /usr/lib/vmidentity/tools/scripts/

./sso-add-native-ad-idp.sh test.com

After upgrading to VMware vCenter Server 5.5.0b or later, users from a child domain are no longer ab...

Create a file /tmp/ad.txt with the below contents:

dn: cn=vsphere.local,cn=Tenants,cn=IdentityManager,cn=Services,dc=vsphere,dc=local

changetype: modify

replace: vmwSTSDefaultIdentityProvider

vmwSTSDefaultIdentityProvider: test.com

-

Then run ldapmodify command and enter the administrator SSO password

/opt/likewise/bin/ldapmodify -f /tmp/ad.txt -h localhost -p 11711 -D "cn=Administrator,cn=Users,dc=vsphere,dc=local" -W

View solution in original post

4 Replies
virtuallysi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For completeness I was able to find a solution to this by referencing the below two KB articles.  Even though one of the articles doesn't mention it applies to 6.5, it's still valid:

UPDATE 26/3/2018: If you've got an external PSC then you will need to run the below on the PSC not on the vCenter VM

Adding an Integrated Active Directory (IWA) Identity Source without the vSphere Web Client for vSphe...

After upgrading to VMware vCenter Server 5.5.0b or later, users from a child domain are no longer ab...

Create a file /tmp/ad.txt with the below contents:

dn: cn=vsphere.local,cn=Tenants,cn=IdentityManager,cn=Services,dc=vsphere,dc=local

changetype: modify

replace: vmwSTSDefaultIdentityProvider

vmwSTSDefaultIdentityProvider: test.com

-

Then run ldapmodify command and enter the administrator SSO password

/opt/likewise/bin/ldapmodify -f /tmp/ad.txt -h localhost -p 11711 -D "cn=Administrator,cn=Users,dc=vsphere,dc=local" -W

cdanielewski
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Could you elaborate how this worked for you in 6.5?

The

Doesn't exist.

Downloading the files won't work as it misses some other files in /vmware-upgrades/

The only part that work is setting default identity source but it requires that identity source to be added beforehand in Web client.

Another couple of posts - still no answer:

how to change default domains identity source with CLi( command line)

Re: Add vCenter 6.5 Identity Source via PowerCLI or Command line

Thanks!

0 Kudos
agentvan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I ended up writing a powershell script to log in to the PSC and actually add the source. It's not the cleanest, but it works.

good luck. (just updated one part).

Powershell:

$ie = New-Object -com InternetExplorer.Application

$ie.visible=$false

$ie.navigate("https://<FQDN of PSC>/psc/")

while($ie.ReadyState -ne 4) {start-sleep -m 100}

while($ie.document.ReadyState -ne "complete") {start-sleep -m 100}

$ie.document.getElementById("username").value = '<SSO Admin User>'

$ie.document.getElementById("password").value = '<SSO Admin Password>'

$ie.document.getElementById("submit").Disabled = $false

$ie.document.getElementById("submit").click()

start-sleep 10

$ie.navigate("https://<FQDN of PSC>/psc/#?extensionId=sso.identity.sources.extension")

$ca = $ie.document.documentElement.getElementsByClassName('vui-action-label ng-binding ng-scope') | select -first 1

$ca.click()

$ie.document.getElementById("adType").click()

$ca = $ie.document.documentElement.getElementsByClassName('ng-binding') | ?{$_.innerHTML -eq "OK"}

$ca.click()

$ie.quit()

0 Kudos
cann0nf0dder
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks @agentvan

Looks like I found a simpler workaround. (that can be used with orchestration!)

Unfortunately there isn’t any official supported way to Automate PSC AD Integrated identity source in VCSA 6.5u1

In the past in v5.5 / 6.0 or 6.5 that was possible using sso-add-native-ad-idp.sh and sso_import.sh however for some reason those utilities are no longer present in 6.5u1 image.

I've documented the workaround in on my blog: http://www.virtualflow.net/2018/03/vcsa-6-5u1-ad-integrated-identity-source-automation/