VMware Horizon Community
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

Printer's issue in UEM.

Hi, ijdemesUEMdev

I am facing one strange experience in UEM printers, I have added and enabled 10 printers in UEM but I am seeing only 2 printers on VDI machine, I am seeing log file and it is showing all 10 printers as scheduled mapping printer.

I am also using the below workaround.

1. Start the VMware User Environment Manager - Management Console and select the User Environment tab.
  2. Select Shortcuts and click Create to create a new shortcut.
  3. Complete the following shortcut information.
    • Name: User Environment Refresh at Startup
    • Target: C:\Program Files\Immidio\Flex Profiles\FlexEngine.exe
    • Arguments: -uemrefresh -uemrefreshwait
    • Destination: select Programs folder and enter Startup
    • Do NOT select Run asynchronously
    • Click Save to create the shortcut.

I am using UEM 9.1

Thank you,

Vkmr.

10 Replies
HartmutEhl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just for testing: What happens if you restart the Spooler in this sesssion?

0 Kudos
ijdemes
Expert
Expert

Hi Vkmr,

Can you provide the FlexEngine debug log?

If the printers are mapped asynchronously, can you also provide the FlexEngine-async log?

Do you save printer settings in a profile archive? If so, when are they restored after logon? By that I mean, are the printers mapped and are printer settings from a profile archive applied after that, that maybe mixes up the printers?

\\ Ivan
---
Twitter: @ivandemes
Blog: https://www.ivandemes.com
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Sravan_k,

Before implementing any workarounds, let's first see what exactly is going on. ijdemes is right in requesting your log files (and given your statement that the log file "is showing all 10 printers as scheduled", we definitely are also interested in the async one 🙂

Are the printer drivers for all of these printers already installed on the system you're logging on to?

Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

Yes, I use "profile archive" for few people, the problem was with all the user's.

I don't know what happened, now the problem got fixed!!

regarding log file they are rolled out to the new log's.

Thank you for responding my friend!!

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

Hi UEMdev,

Thank you so much for responding!!

This issue got fixed by it self, will keep a eye on it and will let you know, if it happen's again.

Thank you,

Vkmr.

DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Glad to hear it works!

If the problem returns, the first step is to check your async log (given that you seem to have configured your printers to be mapped asynchronously, which is the best practice, as it speeds up the logon).

If that file is locked, that is generally an indication that the mapping of a particular printer "got stuck" (typically because there were issues installing the driver, which is why it's a best practice to ensure that your image already has all drivers pre-installed). After the user logs off, the async log file can be viewed, but keep in mind that our logging is buffered, which means that in cases where something gets stuck or crashes, the final bit of logging typically does not end up in the log file. In other words, the last few log lines you see are typically not the ones that caused the problem...

Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

Very interesting, yes that file is locked at that time and saying it is using by other person.

we have a lot of printers, there is no problem if I install all printer drivers?

Thank you,

Vkmr.

ijdemes
Expert
Expert

Hi Vmkr,

I recommend that you install the drivers for your printers in the base image. This prevents your users from downloading and installing the printer driver once the printer mapping is being created. Also make sure the version of the driver is the same as the one on your print server. If the driver (version) differs, it is still downloaded and installed once the printer mapping is being created.

\\ Ivan
---
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

but I am using only one base image and controlling printers based on user rolls, so I have to install all printer drivers to gold image which is a lot.

if I install all drivers to parent image is there any impact on image boot time (I think it will be impact)?

Thank you,

Vkmr.

0 Kudos
ijdemes
Expert
Expert

Yes I recommend that you install the drivers in the base image. Another option is to test one or more universal print drivers to reduce the amount.

I don't believe it will have impact on image boot time, since they are only used once the printers are mapped/connected.

If you have any other questions regarding this topic, please let me know.

\\ Ivan
---