VMware Communities
StudentVMware1
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Workstation 12 - Logged on user does not have sufficient permissions

I am currently preparing a lab in VMware Workstation 12 and every time I click Share VM I receive the following message.

. I have WS 12 installed on Windows server 2016 and log into the domain.

The currently logged in user does not have permissions to

connect to the Workstation server. Enter the credentials of a

user that has sufficient permissions.

I already have full administrator rights to the domain.

Why do I keep getting the above message. ??  I am trying to create a vm.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
gimmely
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I already have full administrator rights to the domain.

Does this mean you are a domain admin?  Or, are you just a member of local admin group on the host, which is supposedly Win2016?

Even if you are a domain admin, you should contact the head of the admin team to confirm your rights in the domain and on the host.  If you're only a member of local admin group, you don't necessarily have all the rights, which is determined by domain admins and GPOs, especially in setting up sharing which includes sharing a VM.

So, this is not a VMware-related issue and you should talk to your domain/network team.

0 Kudos
TheDrToxic
Contributor
Contributor

Excuse the threadjacking, but I'm having the same issue with my local lab (A Bedroom Network)

Dell Precision T5400 (hostname Lyra, headless, bedroom server)
> Windows Server 2016 Standard x64, Active Directory Domain Controller (we'll call it domain.co.uk)

> VMWare Workstation 12 (CPU does not support SLAT for Hyper-V, and VMWare Workstation 14 does not run)

I use vmware sharing to control the virtual machines from my local PC

Mac Pro

> WIndows 10 Pro

>VMWare Workstation 14

I have been running domain.co.uk for a few years now, I re-installed windows server 2016 on it a about a month ago due to an issue and I cannot for the life of me remember how I managed to get the vmware sharing working in my previous instalation.

unfortunately there's next to no way to get a decent mouse cursor functionality in a VM over RDP to Lyra, so I've finally caved in and registered (which was far too long winded for asking a question on a forum). it's also nice to see that my username is previously used (DrToxic). . . but that I'm used to.

the issue I'm having, is that on Lyra, I tell it to start sharing virtual machines, and it cannot connect to it's self!! (with the same permissions issue as the Original Poster).

EDIT:,

Looking through the history of my server, it turns out I installed vmware before the domain, so there was an issue of a configuration of the local administrator account.
Reinstalling VMWare Workstation 12 fixed the issue, and sharing more or less started up automatically.

DrToxic

0 Kudos
pbredenberg
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks DrToxic,

Exactly my problem. I configured the domain after installing VMware Workstation. Reinstalling fixed it for me.

0 Kudos