VMware Communities
dmurthybm
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation Operating System

Hello Team,

It is possible to develop as Workstation operating system, so that we can install this operating system to laptop and desktop, try for multiple operating system inside the workstation.

5 Replies
gimmely
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What you are asking is not very clear.  For example, what is this?

Workstation operating system

What does the following have anything to do with VMware Workstation?

install this operating system to laptop and desktop

For this one,

try for multiple operating system inside the workstation

If we use VMware's terminology, what's "inside" VMware Workstation can be many virtual machines, each one of which should have its own OS(s).  In this sense, it's a given to have multiple OSs "inside" VMware Workstation.

Of course, you may be using the same words in different terms.  For example, your "workstation" is not VMware Workstation.  So then, you need to clarify or elaborate it.

0 Kudos
DrakeofAvlee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What you wish for already exsists and VMware offer Type 1 hypervisors and it is called VMware ESXi.

dmurthybm
Contributor
Contributor

Yes could you develop an operating system of VMware Workstation operating system.

Vmware workstation is application right, i want this application should be work as operating system, so that we can install more operating system ..

0 Kudos
dmurthybm
Contributor
Contributor

esxi is there but what about the desktop and laptops, what is the problem here i am facing is,

i have an laptop with windows 8 operating system ok, suppose if i want linux os like dual os , for that what we usually do is , we will install vmware workstation and installed ubuntu os (vm)

is it possible to install vmware workstation as oparating system and install two or 3 on in it .. 

0 Kudos
DrakeofAvlee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi and vSphere can be used also on laptops and desktops.

Look at this image:

Hypervisor - Wikipedia

VMware Workstation is type 2 hypervisor while vSphere is Type 1 hypervisor. Thing you want is type 1 hypervisor which is installed "directly" (it can be called some kind of OS). Install vShere on your machine and you will have what you need.

Free vSphere Hypervisor | VMware