VMware Cloud Community
SATHISHVIJAY
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Dectecting Duplicate IP Address

Guys please give a step step guidance to troubleshoot and fix this issue. Please help boys, I am new to this.

Error :

2017-07-27T13:37:36.308Z [FFED7B70 info 'Vimsvc.ha-eventmgr'] Event 43033 : A duplicate IP address was detected for 172.x.x.x.x on the interface vmk1. The current owner is 00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx.

Your Faithfully,

Sathish

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AdrianTT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi there Sathish,

vmkX is a VMKernel Port (Management/iSCSI/vMotion or other services); another device on your network has the same IP assigned as one of your vmkernel ports - a quick way to determine if its one of the other hosts in your vCenter environment is to use PowerCLI to output the configuration for your hosts;

Connect-VIServer "vCenterserver.local"

Get-VMHostNetworkAdapter | ?{$_.IP -eq "172.x.x.x.x "} | Select VMhost, Name, IP, SubnetMask, Mac, PortGroupName, vMotionEnabled, mtu

The other option is to review the ARP tables on your switches for the 172.x.x.x network and then use the MAC addresses for the duplciates to determine which devices have the duplicate address.

Hope this helps,

Adrian

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your query have been answered correctly. Cheers,

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AdrianTT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi there Sathish,

vmkX is a VMKernel Port (Management/iSCSI/vMotion or other services); another device on your network has the same IP assigned as one of your vmkernel ports - a quick way to determine if its one of the other hosts in your vCenter environment is to use PowerCLI to output the configuration for your hosts;

Connect-VIServer "vCenterserver.local"

Get-VMHostNetworkAdapter | ?{$_.IP -eq "172.x.x.x.x "} | Select VMhost, Name, IP, SubnetMask, Mac, PortGroupName, vMotionEnabled, mtu

The other option is to review the ARP tables on your switches for the 172.x.x.x network and then use the MAC addresses for the duplciates to determine which devices have the duplicate address.

Hope this helps,

Adrian

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your query have been answered correctly. Cheers,
SATHISHVIJAY
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Adrian, Thank you for responding.

I hope you understand what all i have got now with these below commands, but still I am not able to find the device which using the same IP address of VMK1

esxcli network ip interface list

esxcli network ip interface IPV4 get

esxcli network nic list

esxcli network ip neighbor list

Do this same IP address will be using by its Virtual Machines or any other ESXi box in that cluster / virtual infrastructure ?

Am i right conceptually ? Please suggest.

What should be my next step to find that duplicate IP....

0 Kudos