VMware Modern Apps Community
ericnipro
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

part of dynamic variable

This thread imported from Wavefront Jive,  original Author:

I want to create a dynamic variable for part of an expression but am having trouble. This is what my expression looks like:

stats.gauges.com.edmunds.data.solr.master.inventory.matches.honda.newCount.intColor

stats.gauges.com.edmunds.data.solr.master.inventory.matches.ford.newCount.intColor

stats.gauges.com.edmunds.data.solr.master.inventory.matches.chevrolet.newCount.intColor

stats.gauges.com.edmunds.data.solr.master.inventory.matches.dodge.newCount.intColor

From this, I'd like to get a dynamic list of: [honda, ford, chevrolet, dodge] for example (I don't want a hard coded list, as this is just an example, the real data is much larger and more variant).

I tried using field=metric with this:

aliasMetric(ts("stats.gauges.com.edmunds.data.solr.master.inventory.matches.*.newCount.intColor"), metric, 10)

and this:

aliasMetric(ts("stats.gauges.com.edmunds.data.solr.master.inventory.matches.*"), metric, 10)

Among others. But I get this error:

Query syntax error: Duplicate query key when transforming:stats.gauges.com.edmunds.data.solr.master.inventory.matches.hyundai.newCount.intColor/statsd/[hyundai] into: newCount/statsd/[hyundai], another series is already transformed into the resultant key

Community.... upload 1 .. download 10.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ericnipro
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Hi Shaun,

Based on your use case it seems like taggify is a more apt function that you should use This function allows you to extract a string from a metric name, source name, or point tag value from the result of expression, and use that extracted string to create a synthetic point tag.

taggify(ts(stats.gauges.com.edmunds.data.solr.master.inventory.matches.*.newCount.intColor),metric,model,9,".")

Use can then use this as a query expression for your dynamic dashboard variable and choose the point tag you just created to get a dynamic list of all model variants  See here -> https://metrics.wavefront.com/u/KyvljQpq7S

Hope this helps which your problem at hand

Salil D

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ericnipro
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Hi Shaun,

Based on your use case it seems like taggify is a more apt function that you should use This function allows you to extract a string from a metric name, source name, or point tag value from the result of expression, and use that extracted string to create a synthetic point tag.

taggify(ts(stats.gauges.com.edmunds.data.solr.master.inventory.matches.*.newCount.intColor),metric,model,9,".")

Use can then use this as a query expression for your dynamic dashboard variable and choose the point tag you just created to get a dynamic list of all model variants  See here -> https://metrics.wavefront.com/u/KyvljQpq7S

Hope this helps which your problem at hand

Salil D

0 Kudos