VMware Cloud Community
billoneil
Contributor
Contributor

stretchedClusterMode 0 doesn't stick

I had converted a 2-node vSAN into a 3-node vSAN and starting having issues with things like placing witnesses. After much troubleshooting I have found that vsish -e set /vmkModules/vsanutil/stretchedClusterMode 0 fixes the issue. However, any time the ESXi hosts reboot (which it does a lot, it's a test setup) it gets reset back to 1.

Is there some way to make the setting fixed permanently or am I going to have to reinstall each ESXi one-by-one? I've already tried destroying and recreating the cluster and vSAN in vCenter to no avail.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello Bill,

How did you go about transitioning from 2 to 3-node cluster?

Did you completely decommision the Witness Appliance, the Fault Domains and stretched as per steps such as these?:

virtuallanger.com/2017/06/22/migrating-from-a-2-node-to-a-3-node-vsan-cluster/

When you tried recreating the cluster, do you mean at the vCenter level or the vSAN level? To completely recreate vSAN requires formatting all drives, disabling the vSAN-clustering and adding hosts to a newly created vCenter-cluster and then configuring the vSAN and disks once more.

Bob

0 Kudos
billoneil
Contributor
Contributor

The directions I followed were slightly different than that.

When I recreated I did do that. I went ahead and just reinstalled each ESXi and that worked.

0 Kudos