VMware Cloud Community
abugeja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

vCenter Applicance 6.0 installation - WHY via a browser

Why do VMware insist on using a browser to install and configure the vCenter appliance v6.0. Why cant you deploy it via an OVF on a ESXi host like a normal appliance? So frustrating.

8 Replies
abugeja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I searched around for sometime I couldn't find any other way to install other than the web based approach. Thanks for this article. I have already extracted the .iso and was able to find the OVF and test it. Thanks!!

The default way to install the appliance should be via an OVF..that's my own view anyway. Installs via browser never go well

vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Same experience Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
abugeja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

reading further it doesn't seem like this is a supported way to install the appliance. Now im concerned especially as I need to deploy it for a production environment.

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

As you can see, there's clearly mentioned this isn't supported by VMware. I would recommended standard HTML installation for production, the given blog is good for testing.

0 Kudos
abugeja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

i agree and will now be using the HTML installation process which I believe is a backward step in regards the vcenter appliance. Every other appliance you install directly via the ESXi host. Adding HTML infront of it just makes it more complex espically in high security environment where web browsers aren't always available.

0 Kudos
abugeja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Does anyone know the minimum browser requirements to install the vCenter appliance 6.0? been searching but I cant find the doco around this. Im trying from a Windows 2008 R2 server

0 Kudos
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

vCenter management - WHY via a browser

0 Kudos