VMware Communities
JohnStampede
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Fusion 8.5 Cannot Detect Windows 10 Creators Update Bootcamp Installation

I am currently using VMware Fusion 8.5.8 and I am trying to load my Windows 10 Creators Update Bootcamp partition but I keep getting the "VMware Fusion could not find any Boot Camp volumes on this Mac." error.

Here's a quick breakdown of my configuration:

Main OS: macOS Sierra 10.12.5

Boot Camp: Windows 10 Creators Update

Hardware: 2015 MacBook Pro, Iris Pro, 256GB SSD

Partition 1 - 161GB, Mac

Partition 2 - 81GB, Windows

I initially had Windows 10 Pro on the Bootcamp partition and it worked fine. I had to reformat the old partition and combine it with the Mac partition so as to be able to redistribute the SSD space - adding more space for the Windows partition in the process.

When I ran Bootcamp on the Mac, I installed Windows 19 Creators Update this time around. Upon finishing the install and update process of Windows, I am able to successfully boot into Windows 10 Creators Update without any issues.

Booting back to macOS Sierra I run VMware Fusion > New > Install from Boot Camp and then I get the aforementioned error - "VMware Fusion could not find any Boot Camp volumes on this Mac."

Can anyone point me to the direction on how to resolve this? I've read somewhere that creating a blank Boot.ini file in the root C drive on Windows will resolve this so I created a blank text file in notepad, saved it as Boot.ini, then pasted it on the root C folder. It still didn't work. I may have done it wrongly so if there's a step by step on how to do this it would be helpful.

2 Replies
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi JohnStampede ,

Welcome to Fusion community. Smiley Happy

so I created a blank text file in notepad, saved it as Boot.ini, then pasted it on the root C folder. It still didn't work.

Would you please change the file name from 'Boot' to 'boot' ? Make sure it's indeed a .ini file instead of .txt. Please re-create your Boot Camp VM again via VMware Fusion > New > Install from Boot Camp. Hope that would help.

Nancy

parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

I would also suggest having a looking at the KB Troubleshooting using a Boot Camp partition in Fusion (1027853)

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos