8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2017 1:07 PM by BWMan

Installation VMWare Tools

BWMan Novice

Hi,

Windows 10 (1703) tells me, that there is a problem with the "VMware Pointing Device"-driver and I should install a new one. Windows itself is not able to find one. I therefore startet the installation of the VMware tools an got the following message, which ask me, if I have sufficient rights to start system services.

"Fehler beim Start des Diensts "VMware CAF Management' (VMWareCAFManagementAgentHost). Überprüfen Sie, ob Sie ausreichende Berechtigungen zum Starten von Systemdiensten besitzen."

I have to quit the installer.

What to do? At the moment, I don't see any problems with my pointing device (a trackpad), but who knows ...

Regards

Andreas

• 1. Re: Installation VMWare Tools
          schuhmab Novice

Hi,

I've sen the same behavior (VMWareCAFManagementAgentHost) after initial installation of VMware tools crashed on a fresh Windows 10 (Insider Preview) installation. Installation of VMware tools crashed when it tried to install and start the video driver. After reboot I tried to re-install VMware tools and got this error.

Re-installed Windows (easier then fix the corrupt VMware tools installation), this time with mks.enableMTLRenderer = "0" as per the Tech Preview readme. With the old renderer, VMware tools installation worked, no error messages.

Regards

Bernhard

• 2. Re: Installation VMWare Tools
            RickShu Expert
            VMware Employees

Hallo Andreas,

Ist Ihre Virtual Machine neu erstellt oder schon hat irgendwann aelteres Version von VMware Tools installiert?

Haben Sie schon versucht, das VMWare Tools zu re-installieren?

Ausserdem, koennen Sie teilen um die Informationen ueber Iheres Mac Model bzw Host OS mit? Danke

mfG

-Rick

• 3. Re: Installation VMWare Tools
              RickShu Expert
              VMware Employees

Hi schuhmab,

You mentioned that you have re-installed Windows guest, did you still see the error if you install the Tools without enableMTLRenderer setting?

Also, would you please inform about your Mac Model especially the graphical card specification?

Thanks,

-Rick

• 4. Re: Installation VMWare Tools
                BWMan Novice

Hi,

iMac (Retina 5K, 27 Zoll, Ende 2015)

AMD Radeon R9 M395 2048 MB

Fresh install on 10.12.6

The error occurs during the attempt to install / re-install the VMWare tools.

Regards

- Andreas -

• 5. Re: Installation VMWare Tools
                  schuhmab Novice

Hello Rick,

did you still see the error if you install the Tools without enableMTLRenderer setting?

To be honest, I haven't tried re-installing VMware tools after initial installation failed. The problem (for me) was the video driver doesn't work (crashes the VM) when enableMTLRenderer is set to "1" (default) as I've tried to describe in the other thread Metal Renderer not working on 10.13 HOS with Windows 10 guest.

Btw, is there a difference between setting enableMTLRenderer to "1" or not set it at all in the .vmx file?

would you please inform about your Mac Model especially the graphical card specification?

1. MacBook Pro 13,3, i7-6820HQ, Intel HD Graphics 530 + Radeon Pro 455
                  2. MacBook Pro 10,1, i7-3615QM, Intel HD Graphics 4000 + NVIDEA GeForce GT 650M

Is there further information I can provide?

Regards

Bernhard

• 6. Re: Installation VMWare Tools
                    RickShu Expert
                    VMware Employees

Hi BWMan,

Would you please try the following steps in case you still hit the error while installing Tools:

1) Click Menu 'Virtual Machine'-->Reinstall VMware Tools

2) After the Tools iso image has been mounted to Windows 10 VM, launch the Installation Wizard.

3) Choose Remove from Installation Wizard.

Tools_UI.png

4) Remove the Tools from VM, reboot the VM.

5) Click Menu 'Virtual Machine'-->Install VMware Tools

6) Follow the installation wizard to install VMware Tools.

7) Reboot VM.

Regards,

-Rick

• 7. Re: Installation VMWare Tools
                      RickShu Expert
                      VMware Employees

Hi Bernhard,

There is no difference between setting enableMTLRenderer to "1" or not set it at all in the .vmx file, this option is only used to switch between Metal Renderer and GL Renderer.

If you have the same problem while installing VMware Tools, would you please try the steps listed in Update#6? Thanks.

Regards,

-Rick

• 8. Re: Installation VMWare Tools
                        BWMan Novice

Hi Rick,

unfortunately there is no 'Remove'.

Regards

- Andreas -