VMware Cloud Community
mihalina
Contributor
Contributor

Connecting esxi 5.5 from old vcenter to new vcenter 6.5

Hello

i have old vcenter 5.5 with 3 hosts, essential plus licence. We bought new servers and installed vcenter 6.5 and two hosts with esxi (we bought essential plus licence).

I would like to disconnect one host from old vcenter and connect 5.5 esxi to new vcenter 6.5 so that I can do vmotion migration to new esxi hosts.

When i try to add old esxi to new vcenter i get issue and I do now know if I should continue. Will there will be an issue with running VMs and if there will be an issue when i try to reconnect to old vcenter?

On this link you can find an issue: Dropbox - esxi_issue.jpg

tnx

miha

Tags (2)
3 Replies
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It depends on multiple configurations you might have set up on current vCenter such as if your virtual machines are connected to VDS, they network will in trouble on new vCenter with those VMs. The host migration to new vCenter does not affect the state of any virtual machines running on the ESXi/ESX as long as the the following prerequisites mentioned in KB below are met.

How to move ESXi/ESX host from one vCenter Server to another (1004775) | VMware KB

Refer to considerations prior to migration

0 Kudos
mihalina
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

thank you. I am not using distributed switch, is there anything else that could go wrong?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What you should do from a licensing point of view, is to login to your My Vmware portal, and downgrade 2 of the 6 CPU licenses from the new vSphere 6 Kit to version 5, then add this license key to the new vCenter Server, so that it can be assigned to the ESXi 5.5 host once you add it.

André