VMware Communities
urbanmojo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare Fusion 7.1.3 took away copy paste

With this release (or maybe it was version 7 in general) I noticed I couldn't copy and paste to and from VMWare Fusion Windows to my host Mac. I contacted technical support and they said they took this functionality away in this release. This is bizarre, copying and pasting was a pretty central functionality. It is highly annoying not to have it. The "Enable Mac OS Host Keyboard Shortcuts" option is still there, and still shows cut, copy and paste as options.

Anyone know:

a) why did they take this away?

b) is there any way around this?

c) did they bring back this functionality in version 8?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Technical support was wrong, it was never taken away.

These type of issues are almost always due to a broken VMware Tools install.

Do not try a repair install from within the Guest OS as it likely will not fix this, unfortunately the "Reinstall VMware Tools" from the drop down menu also falls in that same category.

You really need the guest OS to reboot inbetween uninstall and install to make sure that all the files from VMware Tools are in the correct locations and of the correct version.

In short follow these steps:

• Uninstall VMware Tools
  • Reboot guest OS
  • Install VMware Tools
  • Reboot guest OS.

Follow the steps from the installer to completely uninstall VMware Tools 

• Reboot the guest OS.
  • Then from the Virtual Machine menu select "Install VMware Tools"

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Technical support was wrong, it was never taken away.

These type of issues are almost always due to a broken VMware Tools install.

Do not try a repair install from within the Guest OS as it likely will not fix this, unfortunately the "Reinstall VMware Tools" from the drop down menu also falls in that same category.

You really need the guest OS to reboot inbetween uninstall and install to make sure that all the files from VMware Tools are in the correct locations and of the correct version.

In short follow these steps:

• Uninstall VMware Tools
  • Reboot guest OS
  • Install VMware Tools
  • Reboot guest OS.

Follow the steps from the installer to completely uninstall VMware Tools 

• Reboot the guest OS.
  • Then from the Virtual Machine menu select "Install VMware Tools"

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
urbanmojo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, that worked. Had to figure out how to manually run the setup.exe for VMWare tools as the reinstall option was doing nothing. Just had to go into the Setting CD options and mount the windows.iso from VMWare tools first then run the setup.exe that was there. (just include that for future searchers)

0 Kudos