It has been 1.5 weeks and VSM is still broken. Same error as reported. VMware vSphere Downloads, says to use VSM, yet if VSM is broken, no one can use it.
I finally got around this issue but modifying the %APPDATA%\VMware\Software Manager\Download Service\Data\depot_slot_a\channel\dlg_ESXI60U3A.xhtml file and removing all entries starting with dlg_ESXI60U3A_OSS through the following </li> within the associated-channels <li> at the beginning of the file. Those elements are missing. Once removed VSM loaded once more but ESXI U3A is not listed anywhere I can find.
Now bare in mind these files may also be in depot_slot_b, mine were in depot_slot_a. Also, make sure you have shutdown the Download Service using the Tray Icon -> Quit before editing any files. Once that is done edit the file but also remove the %APPDATA%\VMware\Software Manager\Download Service\Data\application_data, %APPDATA%\VMware\Software Manager\Download Service\Data\notifications, and %APPDATA%\VMware\Software Manager\Download Service\Data\application.lock files. Then restart VSM.
Edward L Haletky
2 people found this helpful
Just as Edward mentioned you need to edit the dlg_ESXI60U3A.xhtml file and remove some of the records inside. I took the opportunity to identify the list of faulty / missing modules so here they are:
In my case those were always indicating an error from within the stdout-vapi_server.log file so I took them out by editing the dlg_ESXI60U3A.xhtml file via notepad (VMware Software Manager was terminated beforehand), then once I started back the download manager, everything started to work just fine.
I suppose that VMware either may have forgotten to make some changes in the dlg_ESXI60U3A.xhtml file or perhaps those modules were accidentally moved out of their repository. As a primary remediation option I tried renaming the "%APPDATA%\VMware\Software Manager\Download Service\Data" folder to "Data.old" and respectively VSM recreated its content by downloading it from scratch. Unfortunately as we already saw the downloaded dlg_ESXI60U3A.xhtml file contains bad entries. I'm not sure how often those channel files are being refreshed but until VMware would fix the problem on their side, we can still use the workaround by editing the file. Reinstallation of VSM won't solve anything at this time.
Same issue here and finally got it working. Please feel free to add the following to the list of items to be removed.
I followed the thread and also found that I had to remove the following as well from the dlg_ESXI60U3A.xhtml file to get it working on vsm 1.5
I have followed all of these instructions and still cannot get past the initial screen. Is this product abandoned?
I just retested these instructions and they work just fine. Please note the following:
- You must QUIT VSM in order to edit the files. If you do not 'quit' using the tray icon, the edit will fail.
- You are not removing from dlg_ESXI60U3A_OSS to the end of line, you are removing form the following comma to the < near the end of the line. Proper HTML must be the result
- You must edit the files in depot_slot_*, edit the file in both if they exist.
Yes, I did quit VSM before editing, turns out there was an additional file reference that needed to be removed that showed up in the logs, but was not listed here.
Thanks for following up though to help!
Could you provide the additional element to delete. I usually do the following as a quick solution:
In file dlg_ESXI60U3A.xhtml file and removing all entries after dlg_ESXI60U3A_OSS through the following </li> within the associated-channels <li> at the beginning of the file.
this is still an issue now; as a guy who does qa for a living, this level of bustedness in a first run seems pretty unacceptable. reverting to other means.