VMware Communities
Berno57
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 10 Creators update - Activation problem?

I recently updated to  Windows 10 Creators Edition on a Bootcamp partition which, before the update, worked fine, both natively and with Fusion 8.5.8 as a virtual machine.

After updating to Windows 10 Creators Edition my Bootcamp partition and my virtual machine said that Windows was not activated.

I contacted Microsoft Support and eventually they got my native Bootcamp partition activated but my Virtual machine still says Windows is not activated.

Is this a known problem and does anyone have a solution to this?

Regards,

Bernard

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Berno57
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

UPDATE.

Unfortunately VMWare would not take ownership of this problem, saying it is a Microsoft problem. Microsoft have been more than helpful, re-activating Windows 10 four times when Fusion screwed it up.

In the end I tried Parallels and it worked first time!

So, with regret, I have decided to give up on VMware Fusion and go back to using Parallels.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Is VMware Tools installed?

Typically what happens is that we need a second activation after Tools installed because the hardware profile has changed. Once the second activation happens everything continues to work just fine.

So install Tools if you haven't already and then 'activate windows' after you've booted as a VM. It should allow that activation and stop bugging you going forward.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
Berno57
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Mike. Uninstalling and then re-installing VMware Tools seems to have sorted out the problem.

Regards,

Bernard

****** UPDATE ******

The "Fix" did not last. Upon rebooting Windows 10 it was no longer activated.

Berno57
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oh dear. It seems I spoke too soon.

Today I booted into my native bootcamp and Windows 10 Pro Creators edition was not activated and I was unable to activate it.

I then tried booting into my VM bootcamp and that too is now not activated.

I am now unable to activate Windows with my Product Key on either Native Bootcamp or VM Bootcamp.

I have been through all the trouble shooting guides but nothing works.

0 Kudos
Berno57
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

UPDATE.

Unfortunately VMWare would not take ownership of this problem, saying it is a Microsoft problem. Microsoft have been more than helpful, re-activating Windows 10 four times when Fusion screwed it up.

In the end I tried Parallels and it worked first time!

So, with regret, I have decided to give up on VMware Fusion and go back to using Parallels.

0 Kudos