VMware Cloud Community
vAndrew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Multi-Site PSC

Im trying to come up wit ha design for upgrading vSphere from a v5 to 6/6.5, spread across 2 geographical locations.

Looking at the PSCs, how do i achieve this to link them.

Do i need a vcenter on each site, followed by a PSC (or more) on each site?

So sort of like this:

VC1 linked to PSC1 on site A

VC2 linked to PSC2 on site B

Both in the same SSO domain, but in different SSO sites? (A & B?)

Or do they need to be in the same SSO domain and also the same SSO site?

I created a test setup, so 2 vcenters and 4 PSCs, 1VC and 2 PSCs on each site. I pointed VC1 at PSC1 and VC2 at PSC2. Creating 2 SSO sites (A & B?)

Then created PSC 3 and PSC4, i pointed PSC3 at PSC1 in the installation and PSC4 at PSC2, on the next page though where it says site name, i pointed the PSC3 to site B and PSC4 to site A, but when i go into vcenter i still only see a single vcenter server and not VC1 and VC2 linked? Im certain the issue is with the site setup, or my understanding of it, so what am i doing wrong, or need to do?

-- Andrew (VMware VCP-DCV, MCSA)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
vAndrew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok so between the 4 PSCs, across the 4 sites, if i make a change on one, it replcates to the other 3 fine it seems. I added an identity source, and checked the others and its added to them.

So why cant i see both vcenters in each others console, any ideas?

0 Kudos
vAndrew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Even more bizarre (unless its by design)...

I can see both in the web client, but not in the windows vsphere client. IS this right?

So i assume i have done it right...i think

0 Kudos
LokeshHK
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, it is by design Windows vsphere client(thick client) doesn't support Enhanced Linked mode. .

Regards

Lokesh

0 Kudos
vAndrew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah sort of gathered that after going round in circles thinking it wasnt working properly, when in fact it was.

Have seemingly got it working now, can long distance (simulated) vmotion between the 2 sites.

My only issue is now with the PSC, if i shut one down (simulated failure) should the others in their redundant config ensure vcenter still works and displays both vcenters from bother sites?

0 Kudos